Struggling Chinese football club offered $1.5 million cash per win

Players of Guizhou Hengfeng line up prior to the 13th round match of 2017 Chinese Football Association Super League (CSL) between Guizhou Hengfeng and Guangzhou Evergrande at Guiyang Olympic Sports Center on June 17, 2017 in Guiyang, Guizhou Province of China. (Photo by VCG/VCG via Getty Images)
Updated 09 May 2018

Struggling Chinese football club offered $1.5 million cash per win

  • The team have been told they will also have money docked when they lose

SHANGHAI: A struggling Chinese football club will dish out more than $1.5 million in cash per game to inspire its demoralized players to victory — but they’ll be docked money if they lose.
The carrot-and-stick approach is being applied at Guizhou Hengfeng, who are bottom of the Chinese Super League (CSL) after losing eight of their first nine games, including five on the bounce.
Club boss Wen Wei treated the team and staff to a lavish dinner on Tuesday, two days after they were thrashed 5-1 at Tianjin Teda, and proposed an eye-watering victory bonus of 10 million yuan ($1.5 million) for each of the next two games in a desperate effort to stop the rot, local media said.
In the event of a long-awaited win, the cash will be waiting in the dressing room after the games, the Guizhou Metropolitan Daily cited Wen as saying.
The team will earn two million yuan for a draw, but be fined a collective one million if they lose, or about 33,000 yuan apiece.
Guizhou’s 30 players as well as staff at the dinner accepted Wen’s proposal, the newspaper said, but they face a tough test at home to CSL leaders Shanghai SIPG on Saturday followed by a trip to fellow strugglers Dalian Yifang the following weekend.
Property magnate Wen said he was trying to “unite the team” coached by Spaniard Gregorio Manzano.
“I want my team to forget all the losses and think about hard-won victories,” Wen told the newspaper.
Club officials could not be reached for comment.
Chinese football has in recent years made headlines with a series of expensive big-name foreign signings, with SIPG shelling out an Asian-record 60 million euros last year to buy Brazilian attacking midfielder Oscar from Chelsea.
Argentine forward Carlos Tevez earned some of the highest wages in world football during an ill-fated 12-month spell at Shanghai Shenhua, before returning to Boca Juniors earlier this year.


Floyd Mayweather posts video about heading to Saudi Arabia for talks on Manny Pacquiao rematch

Updated 19 August 2019

Floyd Mayweather posts video about heading to Saudi Arabia for talks on Manny Pacquiao rematch

  • Mayweather, the undefeated 50-0 fighter, beat Pacquiao at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas in 2015
  • Mayweather's last two fights saw him in a bout against MMA champion Conor McGregor in August 2017 and rookie Japanese kickboxer Tenshin Nasukawa

LONDON: Floyd Mayweather released a video on Sunday saying he was traveling to Saudi Arabia for talks on a rematch with Filipino boxing superstar Manny Pacquiao.
Mayweather, the undefeated 50-0 fighter, beat Pacquiao at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas in 2015 and it looks like the Kingdom could host the second bout between the two.

In the video, Mayweather said: “It’s an honor to come to Saudi Arabia to sit down with you guys to talk about the Mayweather vs Pacquiao rematch. Saudi Arabia — Floyd ‘Money’ Mayweather — I’m on my way.”
Mayweather's last two fights saw him in a bout against MMA champion Conor McGregor in August 2017 and rookie Japanese kickboxer Tenshin Nasukawa on New Year’s Eve, the latter not counting toward his professional record.
There has been no official announcement from Saudi authorities.