Riyadh accuses Iran-backed Houthi militia for the most abuse committed against Yemenis

Photo showing the UN Security Council open debate on the protection of civilians in armed conflicts, New York, May 22, 2018. (Screen Grab-UN TV)
Updated 23 May 2018
0

Riyadh accuses Iran-backed Houthi militia for the most abuse committed against Yemenis

NEW YORK: Saudi Arabia’s ambassador to the UN Abdallah Al-Mouallimi has said that Iran is the “key actor” responsible for Yemeni suffering.

Al-Mouallimi was speaking at a Security Council open debate on the protection of civilians in armed conflict on Tuesday.

He added that it was laughable to hear Tehran’s representative speak at the UN in defense of Yemenis.

The Saudi-led Arab coalition in Yemen, he said, is taking extreme care not to harm civilians, and has, therefore, been constantly reviewing and updating its target lists.

He said that Iranian-backed Houthi militia have been committing the biggest abuses against Yemeni civilians since taking over power three years ago in the country.


Sudan’s transitional council vows to back Saudi Arabia against Iran threat

Updated 5 min 49 sec ago
0

Sudan’s transitional council vows to back Saudi Arabia against Iran threat

  • Himeidti said the military council would continue deploying Sudanese troops to Yemen as part of the Arab coalition fighting Iran-backed Houthis
  • It was Dagalo's first international trip since Sudan’s army generals took power after they backed protesters in ousting longtime-leader Omar Al-Bashir last month

KHARTOUM: A top Sudanese general has vowed to back Saudi Arabia against “all threats and attacks” from Iran, Sudan's ruling military council said Friday.
General Mohamed Hamdan Dagalo, the deputy chief of Sudan’s new Transitional Military Council, made the comments during a meeting with Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman in Jeddah.
“Sudan is standing with the Kingdom against all threats and attacks from Iran and Houthi militias,” Dagalo, widely known as Himeidti, told the crown prince during their meeting, the council said in a statement.
Himeidti also said the military council would continue deploying Sudanese troops to Yemen as part of the Arab coalition fighting Iran-backed Houthis.
It was Dagalo's first international trip since Sudan’s army generals took power after they backed protesters in ousting longtime-leader Omar Al-Bashir last month.
The statement, the council's first major foreign policy announcement, amounted to a continuation of the deposed leader's policy.