Five dead in Baghdad cafe suicide bombing claimed by Daesh

1 / 2
Iraqi municipal workers clean the site of an overnight suicide bomb attack in Baghdad's Shiite suburb of Al-Shoala on May 24, 2018. (AFP)
2 / 2
Iraqi municipal workers clean the site of an overnight suicide bomb attack in Baghdad's Shiite suburb of Al-Shoala on May 24, 2018. (AFP)
Updated 24 May 2018
0

Five dead in Baghdad cafe suicide bombing claimed by Daesh

BAGHDAD: At least five people were killed and several others wounded when a suicide bomber struck a cafe in Baghdad, police said Thursday, in a pre-dawn attack claimed by Daesh.
“A suicide bomber blew up his explosive belt while he was surrounded by police near a public garden in Al-Shoala district,” a mainly Shiite northern neighborhood of the capital, the statement by the security forces said.
Daesh claimed responsibility for the attack and said it killed 15 people.
A police source told AFP five people had been killed and 16 others wounded in the overnight bombing, which hit people who had gathered after breaking their daily Ramadan fast.
Those killed were a woman, a girl and three police officers, according to the source.

Later, Iraqi securety forces announced Thursday that it prevented an attack in Iraq hours after the suicide attack in Baghdad claimed 5 in Al-Shoala district of Baghdad.The Iraqi security forces said that its units encircled eight alleged suicide bombers near Kirkuk. The police did not reveal where the suicide bombers were going to strike before they were shot dead

The attack in Al-Shoala district came on the seventh day of Ramadan fasting, a period regularly hit by bloody extremist violence in Iraq since the US-led invasion that toppled Saddam Hussein in 2003.
Cafes in Iraq are particularly busy at night during this Islamic holy month, with families and friends gathering to relax and eat before the fast re-starts at dawn.
Iraq in December claimed victory over Daesh after a long campaign to retake swathes of territory captured by extremists, but Daesh continue to carry out various attacks in Iraq despite its victory announcement.


Bahrain suspends visas for Qatari nationals

Updated 21 August 2018
0

Bahrain suspends visas for Qatari nationals

JEDDAH: Bahrain has suspended issuing entry visas to Qatari nationals as part of the dispute between between Arab countries and Doha.

Bahrain, along with Saudi Arabia, the UAE and Egypt launched a boycott of Qatar in June last year, accusing the country of links to terrorism.

The quartet cut off diplomatic, transport and economic ties with Qatar some trvel restrictions were placed on nationals travelling between the countries. 

"The Ministry of Interior has announced the suspension of the issuance of entry visas for Qatari nationals,” the Bahrain News Agency reported.

Qatari students who study in Bahrain will be excluded, along with those with valid visas, the ministry said.

The statement said the decision was not taken because of Qatari nationals “who share brotherly ties with Bahrainis, but as result of irresponsible acts of Qatari authorities that do not consider the rights of neighbouring countries or the principles of the international law,” the ministry said.