Saudi forces intercept Houthi ballistic missile fired toward Najran

1 / 2
A Saudi man walks past wreckage at a market for vehicles on Aug. 27, 2016 in Najran, a week after it was struck by a rocket fired from Yemen. AFP
2 / 2
The fragments of the ballistic missile landed over residential areas in Najran. (Reuters)
Updated 26 May 2018
0

Saudi forces intercept Houthi ballistic missile fired toward Najran

  • The Saudi Royal Air Defense Force intercepted a ballistic missile headed towards Najran
  • The missile was spotted at 00:39 Saudi time and was said to be fired by the Houthi militia in Yemen

JEDDAH: The Saudi Royal Air Defense Force intercepted on Friday morning a ballistic missile headed toward Najran.

The missile was spotted at 00:39 Saudi time and was said to be fired by the Houthi militia in Yemen.
The Houthis deliberately fired the missile toward Najran, targeting civilian and populated areas, coalition spokesman Turki Al-Maliki said in a statement released by the official Saudi Press Agency.
Debris from the missile landed in residential areas of Najran without causing casualties, Al-Maliki said.
He added: “This hostile act carried out by the Iranian Houthi militia proves that the Iranian regime is still providing the terrorist Houthi armed militia with qualitative capabilities, in flagrant defiance of UN Security Council Resolution 2216 and 2231, with the main objective of threatening Saudi Arabian, regional and international security.”
He concluded: “Launching ballistic missiles at densely populated civilian areas is a direct breach of the principles of the international humanitarian law.”
The Houthi militias claimed the attack via their news outlet Al-Masirah, saying the “Badr 1” missile had targeted Najran.
The Iranian-backed Houthis have fired a number of missiles over the border at Saudi cities, including the capital, Riyadh, in breach of international laws banning the targeting of civilian areas.
On Thursday, Saudi forces also intercepted a ballistic missile fired by the Houthi militia toward the border province of Jazan.
The ballistic missile was launched from the Houthi strong-hold province of Saada.
And on Wednesday, UAE coalition forces intercepted two boats in the Red Sea being used by the Houthis to target a tanker.
Saudi Arabia has since March 2015 led a coalition of Arab states fighting to roll back the Houthis in Yemen and restore its neighbor’s internationally recognized government to power.
So far, the Houthis have launched over 130 missiles at Saudi cities and installations.

Arab coalition allows aid group to enter Yemen
For the second time in less than a month, the Saudi-led Arab coalition has allowed Al-Balsam International Organization to enter Yemen to provide needy patients with free medical services, in coordination with the country’s legitimate government.
A medical team from Al-Balsam will leave for Yemen in the coming days, the coalition said.
Earlier in May, the organization successfully treated heart patients in the country, performing surgeries including open heart surgery and catheterization.
This is part of ongoing coalition efforts to facilitate the entry of international humanitarian organizations into Yemen to alleviate suffering caused by Iran-backed Houthi militias, which continue to destroy and damage infrastructure and health facilities, and loot humanitarian aid to blackmail Yemenis.
Earlier, Yemen’s Minister of Public Health and Population Nasir Baoum expressed gratitude to Saudi Arabia for its continuous support for Yemen, and the medical team from Al-Balsam International Organization for their great humanitarian work in the country.


More than 1.25 million foreigners arrested in KSA for flouting residential, labor laws

In this file photo, expatriate workers are seen outside a Labor Ministry office in Riyadh to fix their status in the Kingdom. In the past seven months, Saudi authorities have arrested more than 1.25 foreigners for violating residential and labor laws. (AFP)
Updated 19 June 2018
0

More than 1.25 million foreigners arrested in KSA for flouting residential, labor laws

  • Of the total arrested, 931,069 were violators of residential regulations,  218,897 for flouting labor laws and 102,000 tried to gain entry into the Kingdom illegally.
  • The crackdown started on November 16 last year and ended on June 14.

JEDDAH: More than 1.25 million people were arrested in Saudi Arabia for violating residential, labor and border security regulations during the Kingdom’s months-long campaign.

The crackdown, which started on November 16 last year and ended on June 14, saw the arrests of 1,251,966 people in the joint security field campaign across the Kingdom. Those arrested included 931,069 violators of residential regulations, 218,897 for flouting labor laws and 102,000 violators of border security regulations.

The total number of people arrested attempting to cross the Kingdom’s borders stood at 19,233 people. Of those arrested, 54 percent were Yemenis, 43 percent Ethiopian, and 3 percent from other nations. 

The Kingdom also arrested 790 people who tried to leave the Kingdom illegally.

There were 2,167 people who were arrested for harboring and transporting violators of labor and security border regulations, and 415 citizens were arrested for transporting and sheltering expatriates violating regulations. Regulatory measures were taken against 388 citizens who were subsequently released. 

The number of expatriates currently detained stands at 10,245, including 8,817 men and 1,428 women. Immediate penalties were imposed on 221,404 violators while 177,329 violators were referred to their respective diplomatic missions for travel documents and 327,034 were deported.