Yemen government calls for US cooperation to thwart formation of new Hezbollah

A Yemeni delegation carrying posters of Hezbollah Secretary General Hassan Nasrallah and Houthi leader Abdulmalik Al-Houthi in a southern Beirut suburb on October 12, 2016. (File photo: AFP)
Updated 07 June 2018
0

Yemen government calls for US cooperation to thwart formation of new Hezbollah

  • Al-Yamani met with the US Ambassador to Yemen Matthew H. Tueller in Riyadh
  • They spoke the Iranian regime and its “intervention” in the region

DUBAI: Yemen’s Foreign Minister Khalid Al-Yamani has called on the United States for cooperation to thwart any attempt of a new Hezbollah being formed in Yemen, which would threaten security and stability in the region.

Al-Yamani said, during his meeting in Riyadh with the US Ambassador to Yemen Matthew H. Tueller, that his government supports the United States position towards the Iranian regime and rejects its “intervention and its absurd agenda” in the region.

He told the ambassador of the importance of all partners’ continued support, and backed efforts for a peaceful political settlement in Yemen including that of the UN envoy’s attempts to find a just and sustainable political solution to the crisis in the country.

Al-Yamani, according to official Yemeni news agency, pointed to the importance of concerted efforts to stop the suffering of the Yemeni people, which he said will only be achieved by providing humanitarian aid, sending relief to those who deserve it, and ending the main causes of suffering caused by the Houthis against the state and its legitimate institutions.

Meanwhile, the US ambassador said that his government will work with the Yemeni government, the UN Special Envoy for Yemen and all partners to achieve a common goal of restoring the legitimate state, and ensuring the security and stability of Yemen and the region.


Tunisia arrests people smuggler after 87 drowned

Updated 36 min 25 sec ago
0

Tunisia arrests people smuggler after 87 drowned

  • Tunisia on Friday arrested the main organiser of a migrant smuggling operation after at least 87 people drowned when their boat sank off the southern coast this month.
  • The boat sank off Kerkenna island from where it had set out. Dozens of people were rescued by the coastguard.

TUNIS: Tunisia on Friday arrested the main organiser of a migrant smuggling operation after at least 87 people drowned when their boat sank off the southern coast this month, the government said.
The boat sank off Kerkenna island from where it had set out. Dozens of people were rescued by the coastguard.
The Defence Ministry said the man was arrested on Friday along with another man described as his business partner, a military man, who was trying to take them out of Kerkenna in his car.
Prime Minister Youssef Chahed this month sacked Interior Minister Lotfi Brahem and 10 security officials for failing to stop the boat. Security forces have since cracked down on migrant smugglers in several parts of Tunisia.
"The security forces arrested the main organiser of the illegal immigration operation in Kerkenna," the Interior Ministry said.
His partner was a military man, according to the Defence Ministry. The men were not identified.
Human traffickers increasingly use Tunisia as a launch pad for migrants heading to Europe as Libya's coastguard, aided by armed groups, has tightened control.
Tunisia stopped about 6,000 migrants leaving its coast for Europe in the first five months of the year, a sharp increase from the few hundred prevented in the same period last year, an Interior Ministry official told Reuters.
The North African country is suffering a deep economic crisis since the toppling of autocrat Zine al-Abidine Ben Ali in 2011 threw Tunisia into turmoil with unemployment and inflation shooting up.