Yemen’s army advances towards Hodeidah

A Yemeni fighter loyal to Hadi mountainous area overlooking Bab al-Mandab Strait September 15, 2016. (AFP)
Updated 11 June 2018
0

Yemen’s army advances towards Hodeidah

  • Sources said the fighting centered in the area of ​​Quba, located five kilometers south of the Hodeidah airport.
  • There were a number of civilian deaths and the Houthi militia suffered dozens of fatalities and many were injured

DUBAI: Yemen’s army, supported by Saudi-led Arab coalition, continued their advancement towards the center of Hodeidah province.

The website of the Yemeni Ministry of Defense, citing sources on the ground, said the army launched attacks on sites held by the Iran-backed Houthi militia in the area of Durahmi.

The sources said the fighting centered in the area of ​​Quba, located five kilometers south of the Hodeidah airport.

A Yemeni military source said the army had made progress on the ground in the Husseiniya area.

There were a number of civilian deaths and the Houthi militia suffered dozens of fatalities and many were injured.

Meanwhile Arab coalition Apache aircraft launched intensive air strikes hitting Houthi targets in several areas south of the province.

Sources said Apache raids targeted militia concentrations in the farm of Barzah and on the road linking the areas of Zabid and al-Haytha, leaving more than 80 dead and dozens injured.

Elsewhere in the Nham area, east of Sanaa, units of the Yemeni army attacked elements of the Houthi militia on Monday.

According to a statement quoted by the site of (26 September) of the Yemeni Ministry of Defense, there were violent clashes between the two sides in Jabal al-Jubair and Wattah al-Hamra.

The source added that the army inflicted heavy losses on the militia, several were also captured.

In the district of Sarawah, west of Marib province, the army took control of three military positions controlled by the militia.

The army launched an artillery attack over the various locations, striking members of the Houthi militia in the Zughan and Ajram areas.


US puts up $10m reward for Hezbollah information

Updated 57 min 11 sec ago
0

US puts up $10m reward for Hezbollah information

  • The money is for anyone who provides intelligence that allows the US to disrupt Hezbollah in key ways

WASHINGTON: The US on Monday offered a $10 million reward for information that would disrupt the finances of Lebanon’s Shiite militant movement Hezbollah.
The State Department said it would give the money to anyone who provides intelligence that allows the US to disrupt Hezbollah in key ways.
The areas include information on Hezbollah’s donors, on financial institutions that assist its transactions and on businesses controlled by the movement.
President Donald Trump’s administration has put a top priority on reducing the influence of Iran, the primary backer of Hezbollah.
The State Department listed three alleged Hezbollah financiers as examples of activities it was seeking to stop, with one, Ali Youssef Charara, allegedly funding the group by investing millions of dollars from Hezbollah in the telecommunications industry in West Africa.
Secretary of State Mike Pompeo has pointed to a recent appeal by Hezbollah for donations as a sign of US success in curbing Iran.
On a visit last month to Beirut, Pompeo urged Lebanon to counter the “dark ambitions” of Iran and Hezbollah but was rebuffed by Foreign Minister Gebran Bassil, who said Hezbollah was not a terrorist group and enjoyed a wide base.
The United States has vowed for decades to fight Shiite militants in Lebanon, with memories still bitter over the 1983 attack on a military barracks in Beirut that killed 241 Americans.
Hezbollah, however, also functions as a political party, with posts in the current cabinet, and enjoys support among some Lebanese who recall its guerrilla campaign that led Israel to withdraw from the country in 2000.