Yemen minister: 20,000 children have been recruited by Houthi militia

Yemeni children carrying weapons take part in a gathering organised by Shiite Huthi rebels to mobilize more fighters to battlefronts to fight pro-government forces, on June 18, 2017, in the capital Sanaa. (File photo: AFP)
Updated 13 June 2018
0

Yemen minister: 20,000 children have been recruited by Houthi militia

  • More than 4.5 million children have been deprived of an education
  • Yemen’s Minister of Social Affairs and Labor said that 2,372 schools had also been destroyed

DUBAI: Yemen’s Minister of Social Affairs and Labor said more than 2 million Yemeni children are working due to the war triggered by the Houthi militia, while more than 20,000 have been recruited to fight in the war, violating international conventions and laws protecting children’s rights according to new statistics published by the ministry.

More than 4.5 million children have been deprived of an education, while 1.6 million have been denied access to schools during the past two years, Dr Abtaj Al-Kamal told Yemeni News Agency.

Speaking on the International Program of the Elimination of Child Labor Day, she added that 2,372 schools had also been destroyed.

She said childhood in Yemen was “extremely tragic” because of the Houthi war against the people, resulting in the increase in child labor as a result of difficult economic conditions.

She called on children’s rights organizations for greater efforts in the protection of Yemen’s children, as well as preventing child labor and returning children to school.


Car bomb explodes in Assad's Syria stronghold Latakia

Updated 22 January 2019
0

Car bomb explodes in Assad's Syria stronghold Latakia

BEIRUT: A car bomb detonated in Syria's government-held city of Latakia on Tuesday, killing the driver and injuring several other people, Syrian state media reported.
Footage carried on the state-run Al-Ikhbariya news channel showed a large group of people milling around in a street while wreckage smouldered on the ground.
Though President Bashar Al-Assad has regained control over more than half of Syria, attackers have periodically continued to strike in cities he controls with suicide blasts and car bombs.
State news agency Sana reported that the driver of the vehicle, a Suzuki minivan, had been killed in the explosion, and that four other people had been wounded.
It reported that the authorities had dismantled another explosive device in the same location before the blast in the vehicle.
The Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights war monitor reported that five people had been injured in the explosion.