Yemen army captures Houthi leader, 8 Hezbollah members in Saada

A Yemeni fighter from the Amalqa Brigades stands pointing a Kalashnikov assault rifle towards a crossed-out plastered poster of the Houthi leader Abdulmalik al-Houthi. (File photo: AFP)
Updated 25 June 2018
0

Yemen army captures Houthi leader, 8 Hezbollah members in Saada

  • Forces carried out an operation that captured the leader of the militia along with eight military experts from Hezbollah
  • The commander of the third brigade said the battles lasted a week in Mount al-Ruqi and surrounding areas

RIYADH: The Saudi-led coalition battling rebels in Yemen on Monday said its forces killed eight members of Lebanon’s militant group Hezbollah in an air strike in northern Yemen, near the Saudi border.
“The coalition killed 41 terrorist elements in Maran and destroyed their vehicles and equipment. Among the dead were eight members of Lebanese Hezbollah, including a commander,” coalition spokesman Col. Turki Al-Maliki said in a statement, without offering details on how the fighters were killed.
Maran is in Saada province, a stronghold of Yemen’s Houthi rebels who are backed by Iran.
It was the first official announcement by the coalition of Lebanese Hezbollah fighters being killed in Yemen although Al-Maliki told AFP it was “not the first time.”
Hezbollah did not immediately respond to AFP’s request for comment on the claim.
The coalition has frequently accused Iran of providing weapons to the Houthis, namely ballistic missiles that have targeted the kingdom with increasing frequency.
Iran, also a backer of Hezbollah, has repeatedly denied arming the Houthis.
At press conference in Riyadh, Al-Maliki said the Hezbollah fighters were part of a group heading to the Saudi border when they were spotted by their surveillance network.
“Terrorist members... from Hezbollah and from the Iranian regime are coming to help the rebels launch ballistic missiles and train them in combat,” he said.
“Both Iran and... Hezbollah must stop sending military experts to Yemen.”
In a November interview with CNN, Saudi Foreign Minister Adel Al-Jubeir accused Hezbollah of firing a missile provided by Iran at the kingdom from Yemeni territory. Hezbollah denied that claim.
Monday’s announcement comes as Yemeni pro-government forces are locked in heavy battles with Houthi rebels as they press an offensive backed by Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates to retake the key aid hub of Hodeida.
UN envoy Martin Griffiths, who held talks in the rebel-held capital Sanaa last week to avoid military confrontation in Hodeida, is set to visit the southern port city of Aden on Wednesday for talks with Yemen’s Saudi-backed President Abedrabbo Mansour Hadi.

Meanwhile the commander of the third brigade, Major General Abdul Karim Al-Sudai said the battles lasted a week in Mount al-Ruqi and surrounding areas.

He pointed out that the Arab coalition fighters supported the army during the operations and bombed militia positions.

 


Boat carrying Syrian refugees sinks off Lebanon, most rescued

Updated 22 September 2018
0

Boat carrying Syrian refugees sinks off Lebanon, most rescued

  • The boat was ferrying the refugees illegally to Cyprus
  • Most were rescued by the Lebanese army but at least one child drowned

BEIRUT: A boat with around three dozen Syrian refugees on board sank off the coast of Lebanon on Saturday and most were rescued by the Lebanese army but at least one child drowned, security sources said.
The boat was ferrying the refugees illegally to Cyprus, some 180 km (110 miles) away, when it foundered off the coast of northern Lebanon, the sources said. Three more of the people on boat were in a serious condition in hospital.
Lebanon is hosting around 1 million registered refugees from Syria’s civil war, according to the UN refugee agency UNHCR. The Lebanese government puts the figure at around 1.5 million.