Saudi Arabia, UAE, Bahrain and Egypt turn to top UN court in airspace feud with Qatar

A Qatar Airways Boeing 777-300 is moved on the Tarmac of Le Bourget airport on June 18, 2017. (AFP)
Updated 27 June 2018
0

Saudi Arabia, UAE, Bahrain and Egypt turn to top UN court in airspace feud with Qatar

  • Both sides, the quartet and Qatar, are turning to the International Court of Justice in the Hague to hear their grievances
  • The quartet decided to submit the airspace case to the ICJ on the grounds that the International Civil Aviation Organisation was not competent to consider the dispute

Saudi Arabia, the UAE, Bahrain and Egypt said Wednesday they would file a complaint at the highest UN court against Qatar over alleged airspace violations.
Both sides, the quartet and Qatar, are turning to the International Court of Justice in the Hague to hear their grievances.
Saudi Arabia, the UAE, Bahrain and Egypt decided to submit the airspace case to the ICJ on the grounds that the International Civil Aviation Organisation was not competent to consider the dispute, Saudi and UAE state media said.
The UAE has filed two complaints with the ICAO over what Qatar’s rivals say are airspace violations that threaten civil aviation.
The UAE accuses Qatar of sending fighter jets to intercept passenger flights and a civilian helicopter in Bahraini airspace.
Doha has denied approaching any UAE-operated flights.
The Saudi-led bloc cut off relations with Qatar on June 5, 2017, accusing it of supporting terrorism and Iran, which Doha denies.
Qatar has also filed a case at the ICJ accusing the UAE of human rights violations.
Judges at the court in The Hague - which rules in disputes between countries - will start a three-day hearing at Doha’s request on Wednesday.
The row has left the small peninsula nation regionally isolated with its only land border closed, its state-owned airline barred from using its neighbours’ airspace.

 


China cancels trade talks with US as tariff threats escalate

Updated 22 September 2018
0

China cancels trade talks with US as tariff threats escalate

  • A mid-level delegation was due to travel to Washington ahead of Liu’s visit, but the trip has now been abandoned
  • China added $60 billion of US products to its import tariff list as it retaliated against US duties on $200 billion of Chinese goods

SHANGHAI: China has canceled upcoming trade talks with the United States and will not send vice-premier Liu He to Washington next week, the Wall Street Journal reported, citing sources.
The Wall Street Journal said a mid-level delegation was due to travel to Washington ahead of Liu’s visit, but the trip has now been abandoned.
Earlier this week, China added $60 billion of US products to its import tariff list as it retaliated against US duties on $200 billion of Chinese goods set to go into effect from Sept. 24.