Seven suspected terrorists killed in Yemen drone strike

Yemeni pro-government fighters sit at the back of an armed pick-up as Emirati supported forces take over Huthi bases on the frontline of Kirsh between the province of Taez and Lahj, southwestern Yemen, on July 1, 2018. (AFP)
Updated 07 July 2018
0

Seven suspected terrorists killed in Yemen drone strike

  • The US military is the only force known to operate armed drones over Yemen
  • The Security Council said it recognized the importance of the ports of Hodeidah and Saleef

ADEN: Seven suspected Al-Qaeda terrorists were killed on Friday when a drone targeted their car in the southern Yemeni province of Shabwa, a security official said.
The car was hit as it drove along a side road in Shabwa's Bihan district, said the official, from forces loyal to President Abed Rabbo Mansour Hadi's internationally recognized government.
The US military is the only force known to operate armed drones over Yemen.
The security official said the militants were members of Al-Qaeda, and said the aircraft that carried out the strike was American.
The US considers the Yemen-based Al-Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula (AQAP) to be the radical group's most dangerous branch.
On Thursday, the UN Security Council said that “all parties” should work toward a political solution for Yemen, and repeated a call for the key port of Hodeidah to remain open.
The statements came after UN envoy Martin Griffiths updated the Security Council via a video link from the region.
Members “reaffirmed their unequivocal support for the efforts of the special envoy, and encouraged all parties to engage constructively with his efforts to progress a political solution,” the Security Council said in a statement.
They also “reaffirmed that a political solution remains the only way to end the conflict,” the statement added.
The Security Council said it recognized the importance of the ports of Hodeidah and Saleef, and reiterated a call for these to be kept open.


Egyptian voters urged to allow El-Sissi rule until 2030

Updated 25 min 48 sec ago
0

Egyptian voters urged to allow El-Sissi rule until 2030

  • Egyptian officials said the results should be ready in a week after the elections
  • Opposition parties asked voters to refuse the suggested changes

CAIRO: Egyptian pro-government media are urging a "Yes" vote on the second day of a nationwide referendum that would allow President Abdel-Fattah El-Sisi to stay in power until 2030.
Polls reopened at 0700 GMT on Sunday. Voting will continue through Monday to allow maximum turnout, which the government hopes will lend the referendum legitimacy.
Election officials say results are expected within a week.
Opposition parties have called on voters to reject the changes, blasted by critics as a major step back to authoritarianism.
Voting comes amid an unprecedented crackdown on dissent since the 2013 military ouster of an elected but divisive president.
El-Sisi came to power in 2014 and was re-elected for a second four-year term last year.
Trucks with loudspeakers drove around central Cairo Sunday morning urging high turnout.