Yemeni FM: Hezbollah’s interference in conflict will not be tolerated

(Getty Images)
Updated 20 July 2018
0

Yemeni FM: Hezbollah’s interference in conflict will not be tolerated

LONDON: Yemeni Foreign Minister Khaled Al-Yamani revealed that his government was still waiting for Lebanon’s response to its complaint about Hezbollah’s involvement in the Yemeni conflict.
Al-Yamani told Asharq Al-Awsat that “Yemen will talk to any country whose nationals are involved in the conflict.”
The Yemeni foreign minister had previously sent a complaint to his Lebanese counterpart Gebran Bassil over Hezbollah’s interference in Yemen and described the Iran-backed party’s actions as a violation of joint Arab treaties.
“Lebanon will not allow itself to be hijacked by militias that claim to be part of the Lebanese system whilst they are commanded by the Wilayet Al-Faqih,” stated the minister.
“The secretary general of Hezbollah openly declared that he is a Khamenei soldier and that he is ready if confronted by war,” he continued. “Such statements do not make him part of the Lebanese national defense concept, but Iran’s idea of defense.”
Al-Yamani also revealed that his government is preparing to send a similar complaint to Iraq about intervention and recent statements made by extremist Shiite militias.
The Iran-backed Houthi militias are seeking to preserve their presence in Yemen and follow the example of Hezbollah, which is present alongside the political system in Lebanon, Al-Yamani noted.
Al-Yamani continued by saying that the Hezbollah has been obstructing political and social life in Lebanon, and that “the Yemeni government will not accept this. Any sovereign country that respects the rule of law will not accept the existence of militias like Hezbollah, which manages political life and imposes vetoes by force of its arms.”
When asked about the presence of Iranian experts in Yemen, Al-Yamani said that claims are difficult to verify, but that several Hezbollah members are part of the Houthi hierarchy.
“The militias would definitely not have had the ability to wage battles had they not received sufficient training by Hezbollah,” he added, revealing that the first thing that the militias did when they seized Sanaa was to release six Iranians from state prison.


Iran unveils first domestic fighter jet

Updated 34 min 50 sec ago
0

Iran unveils first domestic fighter jet

  • It is a fourth-generation fighter, with ‘advanced avionics’ and multi-purpose rada
  • The plane was first publicly announced on Saturday by Defense Minister Amir Hatami

TEHRAN: Iran unveiled its first domestic fighter jet at a defense show in Tehran on Tuesday.
Images on state television showed President Hassan Rouhani sitting in the cockpit of the new “Kowsar” plane at the National Defense Industry exhibition.
It is a fourth-generation fighter, with “advanced avionics” and multi-purpose radar, the Tasnim news agency said, adding that it was “100-percent indigenously made.”
State TV said the plane had already been through successful testing and showed it waiting on a runway for its first public display flight.
The plane was first publicly announced on Saturday by Defense Minister Amir Hatami, who had said it would be unveiled on Wednesday.
He gave few details of the project, focusing instead on Iran’s efforts to upgrade its missile defenses.
Hatami said the defense program was motivated by memories of the missile attacks Iran suffered during its eight-year war with Iraq in the 1980s, and by repeated threats from Israel and the United States that “all options are on the table” in dealing with the Islamic republic.
“We have learned in the (Iran-Iraq) war that we cannot rely on anyone but ourselves. Our resources are limited and we are committed to establishing security at a minimum cost,” he said in a televised interview.
The US has sold hundreds of billions of dollars of weapons to Iran’s regional rivals, but has demanded that Tehran curb its defense programs, and is in the process of reimposing crippling sanctions in a bid to force its capitulation.