OIC, MWL condemn Israel’s nation-state law as racist and illegal

1 / 2
MWL chief Mohammad bin Abdul Karim bin Abdulaziz Al-Issa. (Supplied)
2 / 2
OIC Secretary-General Yousef bin Ahmed Al-Othaimeen. (SPA)
Updated 21 July 2018
0

OIC, MWL condemn Israel’s nation-state law as racist and illegal

JEDDAH: The Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) and the Muslim World League (MWL) condemned the Israeli Knesset’s approval of the “Jewish nation-state” law, which declares that only Jews have the right to self-determination in the country.
The OIC labeled the move as a blatant challenge to the will of the international community, its laws and its legitimate resolutions.
The Secretary-General of the Organization, Dr. Yousef bin Ahmed Al-Othaimeen, described the law as racist, unlawful and illegitimate.
“It ignores the historical rights of the Palestinians, both Muslim and Christian, and represents an extension to the Israeli settlement ideology and occupation policies, based on ethnic cleansing and denial of the existence of Palestinian people and history, highlighted by International resolutions,” he said.
He called on the international community to reject and condemn the racist law and to confront all Israeli racist laws and policies that aim to undermine any possible solution to the conflict.

The Muslim World League also condemned the approval of the “Jewish nation-state” law, and said in a statement issued by its General Sectariat in Makkah that the law opposes the principles and laws of international legitimacy and all the values and principles that human rights laws are based on. 

The League added that the approval of the law will have serious consequences for negotiations that aim to find a peaceful solution to the Palestinian-Israeli conflict. 

“This recklessness, coupled with Israeli aggression against Palestinians, shows contempt for the rights of religions in the Holy Land,” the statement added. 

The League’s statement added that prominent Jewish religious leaders have described the law as racist and having no place in today’s world. 

 


US to send 1,000 additional troops to the Middle East

Updated 5 min 51 sec ago
0

US to send 1,000 additional troops to the Middle East

DUBAI/WASHINGTON: Acting US Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan announced on Monday the deployment of about 1,000 more troops to the Middle East for what he said were “defensive purposes,” citing concerns about a threat from Iran.
“The recent Iranian attacks validate the reliable, credible intelligence we have received on hostile behavior by Iranian forces and their proxy groups that threaten United States personnel and interests across the region,” Shanahan said in a statement.
Reuters first reported plans to send US additional troops to the Middle East earlier on Monday.
Fears of a confrontation between Iran and the United States have mounted since last Thursday when two oil tankers were attacked, more than a year after President Donald Trump announced Washington was withdrawing from a 2015 nuclear deal.
Iran said on Monday it would soon breach limits on how much enriched uranium it can stockpile under the deal, which a White House National Security Council spokesman said amounted to “nuclear blackmail.”