Arab coalition ‘taking necessary measures to secure Bab Al-Mandeb’

In this file photo taken on February 08, 2017, a member of the pro-government forces raises his weapon in the port of the western Yemeni coastal town of Mokha as the Saudi-backed troops advance in a bid to try to drive the Houthi rebels away from the Red Sea coast. (AFP)
Updated 02 August 2018
0

Arab coalition ‘taking necessary measures to secure Bab Al-Mandeb’

  • Al-Maliki said the Houthis hostile approach could cause an environmental and economic disaster
  • He stressed that the measures taken by the alliance are in line with international law

JEDDAH: The Arab coalition fighting in Yemen said the alliance, in coordination with the international community, has taken all necessary measures to ensure the freedom of navigation and international trade through the Bab Al-Mandeb Strait.
Coalition spokesman Colonel Al-Maliki said the alliance had assessed all the attacks committed by the Iran-backed Houthi militia in the strait and the southern part of the Red Sea
Last week the militia targeted two Saudi oil tankers off the Yemen coast, prompting the Kingdom to suspend oil shipments through the passage. Bab Al-Mandeb, which marks the entrance to the Red Sea, is one of the world’s most important supply routes.
Al-Maliki said the Houthis hostile approach could cause an environmental and economic disaster that would harm the interests of countries in the region and around the world.
He said the Arab coalition would continue its efforts to coordinate with the international community to preserve regional and international security and global stability.
He stressed that the measures taken by the alliance are in line with international law.
The Houthis have repeatedly targeted ships off the Yemen coast since the war started. The conflict was sparked after the Houthis seized the capital Sanaa in 2014 and attempted to seize large sections of the country.


Saudi drivers to make racing history with debuts at Ad Diriyah

Updated 13 December 2018
0

Saudi drivers to make racing history with debuts at Ad Diriyah

  • Two local heroes to take to the track in the first-ever Jaguar I-PACE eTROPHY contest for production-based electric cars
  • Ahmed Bin Khanen and Bandar Alesayi of the Saudi Racing team will be among the first drivers to test Ad Diriyah track

RIYADH: Saudi motorsport has never looked so good as two drivers prepare for a historic debut in the Jaguar I-PACE eTROPHY, the world’s first international championship for production-based electric cars, being launched at the racetrack created at the stunning UNESCO World Heritage site of Ad Diriyah.

Flying the flag for Saudi Arabia, the General Sports Authority (SAMF) and the Saudi Arabian Motor Federation (SAMF), Ahmed Bin Khanen and Bandar Alesayi of the Saudi Racing team will be among the first drivers to take to the track tomorrow.

Saudi fans can cheer them on during their free practice session at 3.45pm tomorrow (Friday, December 14), and see if they make it to the final of eTROPHY at 12.50pm on Saturday (December 15).

Ahmed Bin Khanen, Saudi Racing said: “It’s really great to be part of the Jaguar I-PACE eTROPHY Championship, especially as the first race is in Saudi Arabia with my family and friends. I hope to get a good race result and most importantly, make the race exciting for fans to watch.”

The Saturday eTrophy final precedes the main ABB FIA Formula E race, the 2018 ‘Saudia’ Ad Diriyah E-Prix.

Single-day tickets from Friday at SR330 are still available at www.ad-diriyah-eprix.com, along with three-day tickets from SR950.