Shark kills Czech tourist swimming in waters off Egypt

A view of visitors at the beach at the Mediterranean city of Marsa Matrouh, northwest of Cairo, Egypt June 16, 2015. (Reuters)
Updated 05 August 2018
0

Shark kills Czech tourist swimming in waters off Egypt

CAIRO: A Czech tourist was killed by a shark while swimming in the Red Sea off the coast of Egypt, authorities said Sunday.
The man died 20 kilometres north of Marsa Alam city as "a result of an attack by a shark", city council chairman General Atef Wagdy told AFP.
The health ministry is coordinating handing over the body to the Czech embassy, Wagdy said.
Local media reported on Friday that human remains were found on a beach in Marsa Alam.
The environment ministry has set up a committee to investigate the death and will issue a report, Wagdy added.
Marsa Alam attracts divers who explore coral and other marine life, including fish and sharks.
"There is no problem in diving" around Marsa Alam, but people who swim on the surface in deep waters beyond the coral can be vulnerable to attack, Wagdy said.
In 2015, a shark killed a German tourist off Egypt's Red Sea coast, marking the first death in five years.
There were six recorded shark attacks in Egyptian waters in 2010, including a spate of five in five days unusually close to the shore that killed another German and injured four other foreign tourists in December that year.
The 2010 attacks forced the government to close off a stretch of beach in the Sharm el-Sheikh resort for a week.
In 2017, Egypt received 8.3 million visitors, a surge of 54 percent from 5.4 million in 2016.
The country's tourism industry had been dealt a devastating blow in 2015 when militants bombed a Russian airliner carrying holidaymakers from Sharm el-Sheikh, killing all 224 on board.
Before that, the industry had begun to recover from the 2011 uprising that toppled president Hosni Mubarak.
Travel agencies, hotel managers and diving centres told AFP earlier this year that reservations have risen, especially in Red Sea destinations including Marsa Alam and Hurghada.


Anti-Daesh coalition raids kill 43 in east Syria: monitor

Updated 17 November 2018
0

Anti-Daesh coalition raids kill 43 in east Syria: monitor

  • Seventeen children were among 36 Daesh family members killed in Abu Husn village of Deir Ezzor province near the Iraqi border
  • Another seven victims had not yet been identified as either civilians or Daesh fighters

BEIRUT: Air strikes by the US-led coalition Saturday killed 43 people, mostly civilians, in a Daesh holdout in eastern Syria, a Britain-based monitor said.
Seventeen children were among 36 Daesh family members killed in Abu Husn village of Deir Ezzor province near the Iraqi border, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said.
Another seven victims had not yet been identified as either civilians or Daesh fighters, it said.
The US-led coalition has been backing a Kurdish-Arab alliance called the Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) fighting to expel the extremists from the pocket around Abu Husn.
"It's the highest death toll in coalition air strikes since the SDF launched its attack against the IS pocket" in September, Observatory chief Rami Abdel Rahman said.
The coalition has repeatedly said it does its utmost to prevent civilian casualties.
"The avoidance of civilian casualties is our highest priority when conducting strikes against legitimate military targets with precision munitions," spokesman Sean Ryan told AFP this week.
Daesh overran large swathes of Syria and neighbouring Iraq in 2014, proclaiming a "caliphate" in land it controlled.
But the militant group has since lost most of it to various offensives in both countries.
In Syria, the group has seen its presence reduced to parts of the vast Badia desert and the pocket in Deir Ezzor.
The coalition has since 2014 acknowledged direct responsibility for over 1,100 civilian deaths in Syria and Iraq, but rights groups put the number killed much higher.