Iran unveils next generation missile

He described the new version of the Fateh Mobin as "100-percent domestically made... agile, stealth, tactical (and) precision-guided". (File photo: AFP)
Updated 13 August 2018
0

Iran unveils next generation missile

  • Tehran's Fateh Mobin short-range ballistic missile were unveiled
  • Iran's missile programme is a major bone of contention with world powers, particularly the US

TEHRAN: Iran's defence minister unveiled the next generation of Tehran's Fateh Mobin short-range ballistic missile on Monday, according to conservative news agency Tasnim.
"As promised to our dear people, we will not spare any effort to increase the missile capabilities of the country and we will certainly increase our missile power every day," the minister, Brigadier General Amir Hatami, said.
He described the new version of the Fateh Mobin as "100-percent domestically made... agile, stealth, tactical (and) precision-guided".
"Be sure that the greater the pressures and psychological warfare against the great nation of Iran, our will to enhance our defence power in all fields will increase," he added.
Iran's missile programme is a major bone of contention with world powers, particularly the United States, but is seen as vital by Iran to its defensive posture in a troubled region.
President Donald Trump, who pulled out of the 2015 nuclear deal with Iran and world powers in May, has called for a new agreement that restricts Iran's missile capabilities and regional interventions.


Libya seeks UN help as militia fighting kills 10

Updated 23 September 2018
0

Libya seeks UN help as militia fighting kills 10

  • Libya’s internationally recognized government has called on the UN to take “concrete and effective” action to protect civilians and halt the fighting.

BENGHAZI: The latest bout of fighting between rival militias in the capital Tripoli has left 10 people dead.

The medical authorities said 59 people were also wounded when fighting erupted the previous day, taking the death toll to 106 since armed conflict first began there late last month. Friday’s fighting further strained a cease-fire that has been in force since Sept. 4. They said a total of 18 people remain missing.

Libya’s internationally recognized government has called on the UN to take “concrete and effective” action to protect civilians and halt the fighting. The Government of National Accord (GNA) called on the UN mission to “present the Security Council with the reality of the bloody events in Libya so that it can ... protect the lives and property of civilians”.

Libya slid into chaos after the 2011 uprising that overthrew longtime dictator Muammar Qaddafi and led to his death. It’s governed by rival authorities, based in Tripoli and the country’s east, each backed by an array of militias.