Taiz governor survives assassination attack in Aden

A roadside bomb in Yemen’s southern city of Aden targeted the convoy of a Saudi-backed provincial governor but he was unhurt. (Reuters)
Updated 15 August 2018
0

Taiz governor survives assassination attack in Aden

ADEN: A roadside bomb in Yemen’s southern city of Aden targeted the convoy of a Saudi-backed provincial governor but he was unhurt, witnesses said on Tuesday.
Some people were injured in the attack on Ameen Mahmood, governor of Taiz province and a member of Yemen’s internationally recognized government in exile.
“The governor was not injured, but some of the escorts were injured and taken to hospital,” an official at the governor’s office told Reuters.
The number of assassinations and bombings in Aden has increased dramatically despite the presence of the Yemeni president and his government in the coastal city. 
Elsewhere, the Yemeni army said a family was killed by a Houthi bombing in Al-Sada village in Hajjah province, according to Al-Ekhbariya.
The army said that the Iranian-backed Houthi militia are bombing and targeting civilians in Hajjah following field losses.
Hayran directorate in Hajjah province has also become a flashpoint for militia after defeats in Harad and Midi.
Yemeni National Army forces are approaching violent confrontations in the Aham triangle, which is only six kilometers from the center of Harad.
Military operations are particularly important in the coastal provinces of Hajjah because they contribute to securing shipping lines off Yemen’s coast.
Saudi-led Arab Coalition Spokesperson, Col. Turki Al-Maliki said Yemeni forces have approached the center of Hayran after it bypassed Houthi elements, and destroyed their fortifications.
A number of villages and farms in Hayran had been liberated from the grip of the Iranian-backed militia and are now under control of the Yemeni army and the coalition.
During the operation, Yemeni forces recovered heavy, medium and light ammunition, including heat rockets.

(With Reuters)


Jordan links deadly blasts to militant cell

Updated 15 February 2019
0

Jordan links deadly blasts to militant cell

  • Analysis of the site found the blasts were caused by "homemade explosives buried in the ground matching the type used by a terrorist cell in Al-Fuhais" last August
  • The Salt region was the scene of heavy clashes between gunmen and security forces after the attack which targeted a security patrol at a music festival

AMMAN: Jordan said Friday that two deadly explosions which rocked the Salt region northwest of the capital Amman were apparently linked to a militant cell.
A security source had previously told AFP that old mines were behind Thursday's blasts which killed a farmer and three members of the security forces.
But analysis of the site found the blasts were caused by "homemade explosives buried in the ground matching the type used by a terrorist cell in Al-Fuhais" last August, government spokeswoman Jumana Ghneimat said.
She was referring to an August 11 bomb attack on a security patrol in the nearby town of Al-Fuhais that killed a police sergeant and wounded six others.
The Salt region was the scene of heavy clashes between gunmen and security forces after the attack which targeted a security patrol at a music festival.
Four security force members and three "terrorists" were killed during a raid on a militant hideout a day after the blast.