RIYADH: Saudi Arabian air defences intercepted a ballistic missile fired in the direction of the city of Najran by Yemen’s Houthi group, the state-run Saudi Press Agency reported on Tuesday citing a military spokesman.
“There were no casualties as a result of the interception,” said the spokesman of the Saudi-led coalition fighting the Houthis, Colonel Turki Al-Maliki.
“At exactly 8:57am local time the Air Defense Forces of the coalition spotted the launch of a ballistic missile by the Iran-backed Houthi militia from within the Yemeni territory of the province Imran towards the kingdom,” Al-Maliki said.
The Saudi Royal Air Defense Force succeeded in intercepting and destroying the missile.
Al-Maliki said that the missile was deliberately launched to target civilian and populated areas.
The total number of ballistic missiles launched by the Iranian-backed Houthi militia towards Saudi Arabia so far is 183 rockets.