Iraq sending team to US to seek deal on transactions with Iran

Prime Minister Haider Al-Abadi said Iraq will send a delegation to the United States seeking an agreement on financial transactions with Iran. (File photo / AFP)
Updated 28 August 2018
0

Iraq sending team to US to seek deal on transactions with Iran

BAGHDAD: Iraq will send a delegation to the United States seeking an agreement on financial transactions with Iran following Washington’s reimposition of sanctions on Tehran, Prime Minister Haider Al-Abadi said on Tuesday.
His statement was the first by an Iraqi official since Reuters reported last week Baghdad was going to ask Washington for exemptions from some of the sanctions because Iraq’s economy is closely linked with neighboring Iran.
“We are not with economic sanctions against any country and that is our strategic position,” state television quoted Abadi as saying at a weekly news conference.
US President Donald Trump withdrew the United States in May from world powers’ 2015 nuclear deal with Iran, calling it flawed, and reimposed trade sanctions on the Islamic Republic.
The Trump administration has warned of consequences for countries that do not respect the sanctions. Baghdad is in a difficult position — its two biggest allies are the United States and Iran, themselves arch-adversaries.
Iraqi government and central bank officials said the delegation will travel to Washington to ask for exemptions in applying the sanctions. They did not say when that trip would take place.


Libya seeks UN help as militia fighting kills 10

Updated 23 September 2018
0

Libya seeks UN help as militia fighting kills 10

  • Libya’s internationally recognized government has called on the UN to take “concrete and effective” action to protect civilians and halt the fighting.

BENGHAZI: The latest bout of fighting between rival militias in the capital Tripoli has left 10 people dead.

The medical authorities said 59 people were also wounded when fighting erupted the previous day, taking the death toll to 106 since armed conflict first began there late last month. Friday’s fighting further strained a cease-fire that has been in force since Sept. 4. They said a total of 18 people remain missing.

Libya’s internationally recognized government has called on the UN to take “concrete and effective” action to protect civilians and halt the fighting. The Government of National Accord (GNA) called on the UN mission to “present the Security Council with the reality of the bloody events in Libya so that it can ... protect the lives and property of civilians”.

Libya slid into chaos after the 2011 uprising that overthrew longtime dictator Muammar Qaddafi and led to his death. It’s governed by rival authorities, based in Tripoli and the country’s east, each backed by an array of militias.