Yemeni minister says ‘disastrous’ UN report described Houthi as leader of the revolution

The UN Security Council designated sanctions on Abdul Malik Al-Houthi in April 2015 for engaging in acts that threatened the peace, security, and stability of Yemen. (File/AFP)
Updated 30 August 2018
0

Yemeni minister says ‘disastrous’ UN report described Houthi as leader of the revolution

DUBAI: Yemen’s Information Minister Muammar Al-Iryani condemned the United Nations on Wednesday over its report on war crimes in Yemen, in which he says the leader of the Houthi militia was referred to as a “leader of the revolution.”

The UN Security Council designated sanctions on Abdul Malik Al-Houthi in April 2015 for engaging in acts that threatened the peace, security, and stability of Yemen.

Describing the report as “disastrous,” Al-Iryani said on his Twitter account that it was based on “a number of fabrications” aiming to harm the internationally recognized government and the member states of the Saudi-led Arab coalition fighting the militias.  

The minister said the report did not mention all the “terror acts” carried out by the militia group on officials, government headquarters and military and security sites of the government.

The report ignored hundreds of rockets launched by the Houthi militia under Iranian pretexts targeting the Saudi capital Riyadh and Makkah and a number of other cities in the Kingdom, the minister said.

There was no mention of the killing of a number of civilians, in addition to the targeting of oil tankers in international waters, he added.

The Arab coalition also refuted the UN report on Yemen, saying it made a series of accusations against the alliance.

In a strongly worded statement, the coalition, which supports forces loyal to the internationally recognized government, rejected the claim that it did not provide information requested by the UN.

The coalition dismissed as “false” and “inaccurate” claims in the report that its forces were obstructing humanitarian access to civilians in the country.


Civilians prompt delay in assault on last Daesh enclave: Kurd-led forces

Updated 16 February 2019
0

Civilians prompt delay in assault on last Daesh enclave: Kurd-led forces

  • The last few hundred Daesh militants, many of them foreigners, had surrendered in the past two days to the Syrian Democratic Forces

OMAR OIL FIELD, Syria: “Large numbers” of civilians remain inside the last Daesh group enclave in Syria prompting a fresh delay in a final advance, Kurdish-led forces said on Saturday.

“There are still civilians inside in large numbers,” US-backed Syrian Democratic Forces spokesman Adnan Afrin said on the day President Donald Trump said he expected to announce the end of the militants’ “caliphate.”

“We weren’t expecting this number, otherwise we wouldn’t have resumed the campaign four days ago. This is why it’s been delayed,” Afrin said.

A second SDF spokesman said that the diehard militants remained in control of the tiny enclave around the village of Baghouz on the north bank of the Euphrates river.

“The pocket inside Baghouz is still controlled by the Daesh group,” spokesman Mustefa Bali said.

“There are still civilians inside Baghouz and we are working on getting them out.”

Neither spokesman would comment on the timeline set by Trump for a US announcement that the “caliphate” had been eradicated.

“We have a lot of great announcements having to do with Syria and our success with the eradication of the caliphate and that will be announced over the next 24 hours,” Trump told reporters at around 1600 GMT on Thursday.