King Faisal Hospital participates in World Health Forum

Updated 11 September 2018

King Faisal Hospital participates in World Health Forum

RIYADH: King Faisal Specialist Hospital and Research Center has participated in the World Health Forum held in the Riyadh International Convention and Exhibition Center from Sept. 10 to 12.
The forum offers specialized services in medical and research fields, as well as introducing cooperation between institutions and international medical centers.
Dr. Firas Al-Freih, Consultant of Hematology and Head of the Stem Cell Donors Register at King Faisal Hospital, said the Saudi health minister has visited the hospital’s wing at the forum.
Al-Frieh praised minister Tawfiq Al Rabiah humanitarian gesture in including the name of his excellency in the register for stem cell donors, in a bid to encourage others to follow his steps, in what helps in finding donors for patients struggling with severe diseases.
Dr. Al-Freih noted that the turnout of donors who registered their names ta forum was quite encouraging, adding that the register was established in 2016 and the number of donors in its database is about 51,000 people.
The importance of this register lies in fulfilling the needs of patients suffering severe illnesses that could be treated by stem cell transplants from donors if found to be a good match for a recipient.


2 more Houthi drones shot down by Saudi-led Coalition forces

Updated 23 min 49 sec ago

2 more Houthi drones shot down by Saudi-led Coalition forces

  • Three drones, six ballistic missiles launched toward Saudi Arabia by Houthis in a span of 24 hours
  • All six missiles and three drones were shot down by Coalition air defenses

JEDDAH: Two more drones launched by Houthi "terrorists" from Sanaa toward Saudi Arabia were shot down early Monday, the ninth hit in a span of 24 hours, Coalition forces supporting Yemen's legitimate government said .

In a statement carried by the Saudi Press Agency (SPA), coalition spokesman Colonel Turki Al-Maliki said the two drones were intercepted and shot down in Yemeni airspace by Saudi-led air defense forces.

On Sunday evening, six ballistic missiles fired from Yemen were also intercepted by the coalition as they headed towards Jazan in south-west Saudi Arabia.

Al-Maliki said the missiles were launched by Houthis from Saada province "in an attempt to target civilian and civilian installations in Jazan city.” 

Earlier on Sunday, the coalition shot down a Houthi drone targeting the Saudi city of Khamis Mushayt, state news agency SPA reported.

The drone attack targeting Khamis Mushayt, state was the second on the city in recent days. 

Earlier this month, 10 drones attacked the Shaybah natural gas liquefaction plant in Saudi Arabia near the UAE border. The attack caused no injuries and did not disrupt operations, Saudi Arabia said.

Al-Maliki said the attacks reflect the size of the Houthi’s losses on the battlefield in Yemen as a result “of the continuing military operations deep inside Saada governorate.”

"All attempts by the Iranian-backed terrorist Houthi militia to launch drones are doomed to fail and the coalition takes all operational procedures and best practices of engagement rules to deal with these drones to protect civilians," Al-Maliki said.