Three men wanted by Saudi security forces killed in Qatif

Updated 28 September 2018
0

Three men wanted by Saudi security forces killed in Qatif

  • The three men opened fire on security officers after they surrounded the house where they were hiding
  • Three security officers were injured during the operation

RIYADH: Three men wanted by Saudi Arabia's security forces were killed Thursday after they opened fire on security forces from a house in Qatif.

The men, all Saudi nationals, were named as Mohammed Hassan Ahmed Al-Zayed, Mufeed Hamza Ali Ulwan, and Khalil Ibrahim Hassan Al-Muslim, Saudi Press Agency reported.

Three security officers were injured during the operation and no civilian casualties were reported.

A spokesman for the Presidency of State Security said officers were able to locate the three suspects in a house in central Qatif on Thursday night “as a result of the security monitoring and surveillance of suspects related to terrorist incidents that took place in Qatif, Eastern Province."

“The suspects started shooting at security personnel after they surrounded the area and called on them to surrender," the spokesman said. "They endangered the safety of residents and passersby."

The security forces returned fire, killing the three men, Al-Zayed had been on the run since 2012 and Al-Alwan since 2016.

“The Presidency of State Security will continue to pursue criminals and all those who dare to violate the Kingdom’s security through such activities and calls on the rest of the wanted people to turn themselves in,” the spokesman said.

 


Saudi drivers take position as final Ad Diriyah showdown kicks off

Updated 36 min 25 sec ago
0

Saudi drivers take position as final Ad Diriyah showdown kicks off

  • Ahmed Bin Khanen and Bandar Alesayi of the Saudi Racing team lined up in the final of the Jaguar I-Pace eTrophy
  • The race is the world’s first international championship for production-based electric cars

DUBAI: Two Saudi racers took position as they compete in the final Jaguar race of the ABB FIA Formula E Championship today despite a slight morning weather hiccup.

Ahmed Bin Khanen and Bandar Alesayi of the Saudi Racing team lined up in the final of the Jaguar I-Pace eTrophy, the world’s first international championship for production-based electric cars.

Both local racers made history as the first among the racers to compete in the inaugural Jaguar championship.

“I am really thrilled to represent Saudi and to be part of the first race of Jaguar in front of my home crowd, I very happy to be here. It’s bit tricky out there for us but looking for to it. I want to just enjoy myself and put on a good show,” Bandar said.

Ahmed echoed Bandar’s excitement, “this city circuit is a bit tricky, but we are getting there. I’m very proud to have Formula E and the Jaguar eTROPHY here in Saudi Arabia, hopefully we can create a great weekend,” he said.

Bander (car 12) was 6th on the starting grid and Ahmed (car 24) was 8th out of the pack of 12. Both drivers have been supported by the General Sports Authority (GSA) and the Saudi Arabian Motor Federation (SAMF).

The main ABB FIA Formula E race starts later in the day.