Saudi leadership, Pompeo agree ‘thorough, transparent investigation’ into Khashoggi disappearance

1 / 8
US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo met with King Salman in the Saudi capital on Tuesday. (SPA)
2 / 8
Pompeo met with Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman at Riyadh’s royal palace. (SPA)
3 / 8
US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo met with King Salman in the Saudi capital on Tuesday. (SPA)
4 / 8
Pompeo met with Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman at Riyadh’s royal palace. (SPA)
5 / 8
The US chief diplomat was greeted at Riyadh airport by Saudi Foreign Minister Adel al-Jubeir and ambassador to Washington Prince Khalid bin Salman. (SPA)
6 / 8
US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo met with King Salman in the Saudi capital on Tuesday. (SPA)
7 / 8
The US chief diplomat was greeted at Riyadh airport by Saudi Foreign Minister Adel al-Jubeir and ambassador to Washington Prince Khalid bin Salman. (SPA)
8 / 8
The US chief diplomat was greeted at Riyadh airport by Saudi Foreign Minister Adel al-Jubeir and ambassador to Washington Prince Khalid bin Salman. (SPA)
Updated 17 October 2018
0

Saudi leadership, Pompeo agree ‘thorough, transparent investigation’ into Khashoggi disappearance

  • Pompeo thanked King Salman for his commitment to a thorough, transparent investigation
  • The crown prince assured Pompeo that the US and Saudi Arabia are "old, strong allies"

RIYADH: US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo flew into Riyadh on Tuesday for talks with King Salman of Saudi Arabia and Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman on the case of the missing Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi.

Pompeo had a brief meeting with the king before a lengthy, 40-minute discussion with the crown prince. “We are strong and old allies. We face our challenges together,” the crown prince said as he warmly welcomed Pompeo to the Saudi capital. Later Prince Mohammed also discussed the investigation in a phone conversation with US President Donald Trump.

Saudi Minister of Foreign Affairs Adel Al-Jubeir also had talks with Pompeo. “The secretary and the foreign minister agreed on the importance of a thorough, transparent, and timely investigation,” State Department spokeswoman Heather Nauert said later.

Pompeo will travel to Turkey on Wednesday to meet Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu.

Khashoggi, a Saudi citizen who lived in the US, disappeared on Oct. 2 after visiting the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul to complete paperwork related to his divorce. Saudi Arabia and Turkey have set up a joint team to investigate the disappearance.

Officers from the team searched the consulate in Istanbul for eight hours overnight on Monday, and left at 5 a.m. on Tuesday.


Put pressure on Houthis to comply with Stockholm Agreement, Saudi envoy urges UN 

Updated 19 min 7 sec ago
0

Put pressure on Houthis to comply with Stockholm Agreement, Saudi envoy urges UN 

  • Prince Khalid says Houthis have repeatedly violated the agreement signed in Sweden last year
  • Despite the agreement, Houthis have launched drone attacks, shelled Saudi border towns and launched a ballistic missile towards KSA

JEDDAH: Saudi Arabia’s envoy to the US urged the United Nations on Thursday to take the Houthi militia to task for “reneging on their commitments” under the Stockholm Agreement on Yemen.
“The Stockholm Agreement between Yemeni parties is being violated repeatedly by the Houthis,” Prince Khalid bin Salman said in a series of tweets.
He said the Yemeni government of President Abed Rabbo Mansour Hadi and the Saudi-led Coalition that is backing it have been implementing their obligation under the agreement.
Signed last December in Stockholm, Sweden, the agreement is an important first step for sustainable peace and offers hope for millions of Yemenis.
“(But) it takes two sides to make it work, so far, the Iran-backed Houthi militia seems determined to uphold the misery and suffering of the brotherly Yemeni people,” Prince Khalid said.
“Not only did the Houthis refuse to implement the Stockholm agreement, which they signed to, but they also went beyond that and continued their armed assault including drone attacks, the shelling of residential neighborhoods & launching a ballistic missile towards KSA,” he tweeted.
He also pointed to the attack on Jan. 17 that targeted a UN convoy in Yemen's port city of Hodeidah, which was blamed on Houthis.
"The Iran-backed militia displayed its contempt for peace by attempting to target a UN convoy, this is a reminder that we are dealing with a lawless militia that does not care about peace or the fate of millions of Yemenis," the envoy said.
He said the UN should "name the party that failed to uphold basic confidence building measures leading up to the Stockholm agreement, and clearly identify who is responsible for the attack on the armored vehicle that was carrying chief UN monitor Patrick Cammaert."