Pope expresses ‘pain’ over attack on Coptic Christians in Egypt

Pope Francis said he would pray for the victims of the attack that killed seven. (AFP)
Updated 04 November 2018
0

Pope expresses ‘pain’ over attack on Coptic Christians in Egypt

  • Seven Coptic Christians were killed in a terror attack claimed by the Daesh group in Egypt
  • 19 suspected militants linked to the deadly attack were killed in a shootout with police

VATICAN CITY: Pope Francis said he was pained Sunday over an attack, claimed by Daesh, on Coptic Christians in Egypt which left seven dead.
“I express my pain after the terrorist attack which two days ago hit the Coptic Orthodox church in Egypt,” Francis said in Saint Peter’s.
“I pray for the victims, pilgrims killed just because they were Christian,” he added.
In Egypt, 19 suspected militants linked to the deadly attack were killed in a shootout with police, the interior ministry said Sunday.
The Daesh group said it was behind Friday’s attack near the central city of Minya as the Copts returned from a visit to the desert cemetery of Saint Samuel that was also targeted in 2017.


Tunisian workers kidnapped in Libya

Updated 50 min 56 sec ago
0

Tunisian workers kidnapped in Libya

TUNIS: Militiamen have kidnapped a group of Tunisian workers near the Libyan capital Tripoli, demanding Tunis release a comrade, the foreign ministry and a rights activist said.
"The foreign ministry is following the case of the Tunisian citizens... kidnapped by armed Libyan elements near Zawiya", the ministry said on its Facebook page late Friday.
Rights activist Mustapha Abdelkebir said the armed group behind Thursday's kidnappings was demanding the release of one of its members held in Tunisia.
The kidnap victims were workers at Zawiya oil refinery, Tunisian media said. A diplomatic source told AFP that 14 workers had been taken hostage.
"The minister has spoken to his Libyan counterpart to insist on the protection of the detainees, accelerate their release and ensure that they return safe and sound", the ministry said in a statement.
Tunisia reopened a consulate in Libya in 2018, after shutting it three years earlier due to the kidnapping of 10 Tunisian diplomats.
The Libyan militia which carried out the 2015 kidnapping had demanded the release of one of its leaders, Walid Glib, detained in Tunisia as part of a counter-terrorism investigation.
The diplomats were released after several days and Walid Glib was later deported to Tripoli.
Libya's Tripoli-based Government of National Accord said it had no information on Thursday's abduction and that it was looking into the matter.
The country has been mired in chaos since the fall of dictator Muammar Qaddafi in a 2011 NATO-backed uprising, as two rival administrations and numerous militias grapple for power.