Denmark police prosecute 14 over sharing Morocco hikers ‘murder video’

1 / 2
Moroccans gather in front of Denmark's embassy in Rabat to honour Maren Ueland from Norway and Louisa Vesterager Jespersen from Denmark, who were killed in Morocco, in Rabat, Morocco December 22, 2018. The placards read "Together against terrorism fanaticism extremism" and "Yes To Peace and Security". (Reuters)
2 / 2
Norwegian Maren Ueland, 28, poses in this undated photo. (Reuters)
Updated 07 March 2019
0

Denmark police prosecute 14 over sharing Morocco hikers ‘murder video’

  • A video circulating on social networks at the time, believed authentic by authorities, showed one of the murders in the High Atlas mountains

COPENHAGEN: Danish police on Thursday said they had launched prosecutions against 14 people suspected of sharing on social media the murder video of one of the two young Scandinavian hikers killed in Morocco.
Danish student Louisa Vesterager Jespersen, 24, and 28-year-old Norwegian Maren Ueland were found dead at an isolated hiking spot south of Marrakesh on December 17.
The pair were stabbed, had their throats slit and were then beheaded, according to Morocco’s counter-terror chief.
A video circulating on social networks at the time, believed authentic by authorities, showed one of the murders in the High Atlas mountains.
“The 14 people are accused of violating the penal code by sharing the video — usually via Facebook Messenger or other social networks,” said East Jutland police chief Michael Kjeldgaard in a statement.
Two of them are also accused of apologizing for terrorism, the prosecution told AFP.
Six of those indicted, whose identities have not been revealed, are between 13 and 18 years old.
The grisly killings of the hikers shocked Morocco, where tourism is a cornerstone of the economy.
Moroccan authorities have called the killings a “terrorist” act and charged more than 20 people for their alleged involvement.
The authorities allege that the four main suspects in the murder were inspired by the Daesh group, but say they were not in direct contact with Daesh members in Iraq or Syria.


At least 11 wounded in Somalia Al-Shabab claimed attack

Updated 10 sec ago
0

At least 11 wounded in Somalia Al-Shabab claimed attack

  • Authorities have not said if there are any deaths in the attack
  • The extremist group is fighting against foreign influences which they see as heretic

MOGADISHU: At least 11 people were wounded when gunmen set off explosions and stormed government ministries in Somalia’s capital Saturday in an attack claimed by the Al-Shabab extremist group, police said.
“There can be others inside but we have so far collected eleven people wounded in the attack,” said Abdukadir Abdirahman Adan, director of the Aamin ambulance service in the capital Mogadishu.
Police say the assault began when two explosions were set off near the ministries of public works and labor.
Gunmen entered the buildings following the blasts.
“The security forces rescued many of the staff from the buildings and they are still engaging some gunmen who managed to enter the building after the blast,” said security commander Ahmed Adan.
It remained unclear if there were any deaths in the attack.
The attack was claimed by the Al-Shabab extremist group, which is fighting an armed insurrection in Somalia against what it sees as heretic and foreign influence.
Attacks that use a combination of bombs and gunmen have become a hallmark of the insurgents.
Earlier this month, at least 20 people died in an attack in Mogadishu which saw Al-Shabab extremists battling security forces for nearly 24 hours.
The group also claimed responsibility for a March 7 car bombing near a restaurant in the capital that killed four people.