Dozens of Houthis killed as battles rage in Yemen

In this file photo taken on February 21, 2019 armed Yemeni men raise their weapons as they gather near the capital Sanaa to show their support to the Houthis. (File/AFP)
Updated 26 March 2019
0

Dozens of Houthis killed as battles rage in Yemen

  • Several Houthi leaders were killed in clashes
  • Yemen's national forces also sieged a main road

DUBAI: Dozens of Houthi militia have been killed in battles across Yemen, the Saudi Press Agency reported on Monday.

The Yemeni army killed 45 militia and wounded 30 in Ibb province, while another 40 Houthi fighters were killed in clashes in Qaataba district.

In Marib province, coalition raids killed a Houthi commander and his men.

Meanwhile, coalition-backed forces sieged the main route that connects the provinces of Al-Dhale and Ibb south of Sanaa.

Fighting picked up in Hodeidah despite a truce agreement between the warring sides in December. An offensive by Yemeni forces last year liberated much of Houthi-controlled territory along the strategic Red Sea, about four years after the Iran-supported group ousted the internationally-recognized government.

The Yemeni government has claimed the Houthis were using the port of Hodeidah to smuggle weapons from Iran to sustain their military campaign.


US to send 1,000 additional troops to the Middle East

Updated 1 min 7 sec ago
0

US to send 1,000 additional troops to the Middle East

DUBAI/WASHINGTON: Acting US Defense Secretary Patrick Shanahan announced on Monday the deployment of about 1,000 more troops to the Middle East for what he said were “defensive purposes,” citing concerns about a threat from Iran.
“The recent Iranian attacks validate the reliable, credible intelligence we have received on hostile behavior by Iranian forces and their proxy groups that threaten United States personnel and interests across the region,” Shanahan said in a statement.
Reuters first reported plans to send US additional troops to the Middle East earlier on Monday.
Fears of a confrontation between Iran and the United States have mounted since last Thursday when two oil tankers were attacked, more than a year after President Donald Trump announced Washington was withdrawing from a 2015 nuclear deal.
Iran said on Monday it would soon breach limits on how much enriched uranium it can stockpile under the deal, which a White House National Security Council spokesman said amounted to “nuclear blackmail.”