Saudi, Chinese officials meet at Belt and Road Forum in Beijing 

1 / 2
Nabeel Al-Amoudi attended the Belt and Road Forum for International Cooperation. (SPA)
2 / 2
Nabeel Al-Amoudi attended the Belt and Road Forum for International Cooperation. (SPA)
Updated 28 April 2019
0

Saudi, Chinese officials meet at Belt and Road Forum in Beijing 

  • The officials discussed ways to strengthen cooperation between the two countries in the transport industry
  • Delegations from more than 100 countries took part in the event

RIYADH: Nabeel Al-Amoudi, the Saudi minister of transport and chairman of the Public Transport Authority, met Chinese Minister of Transport Li Xiaopeng to discuss ways to strengthen cooperation between the two countries in the transport industry.

Their meeting took place in Beijing on the sidelines of the second Belt and Road Forum for International Cooperation. Delegations from more than 100 countries took part in the event.

Al-Amoudi also met the chairmen of the China Railway Construction Company and the China Civil Engineering Construction Corporation to discuss the Saudi Landbridge Project — a railway connecting Saudi Arabia’s western and eastern coasts by utilizing existing railway lines between Riyadh and Dammam, and linking them with a north–south railway line — and its proposed time frame.

The project is part of efforts to turn the Kingdom into a global logistics platform linking three continents, in line with the aims of Vision 2030. PTA President Rumaih Al-Rumaih, and Mohammed Al-Shabrami, his deputy for the railway sector, were also at the meeting.

During the Future Investment Initiative 2018 in Riyadh, the PTA and CCECC signed a memorandum of understanding to discuss ways to implement the Landbridge Project while achieving the highest levels of efficiency and sustainability.
 


Saudi Arabia calls on Qatar to allow its pilgrims to perform Hajj

Updated 49 min 2 sec ago
0

Saudi Arabia calls on Qatar to allow its pilgrims to perform Hajj

  • The ministry accused the Qatari government of blocking attempts by its citizens to perform the pilgrimage
  • Saudi Arabia is one of several Arab countries that launched a boycott of Qatar in 2017 over the country’s support for extremist groups

RIYADH: Saudi Arabia’s Ministry of Hajj and Umrah has created a new webpage for Qataris who wish to perform the pilgrimage this year.
Qatari Hajj pilgrims can register their details, browse packages and pay for them at: https://qh1440.haj.gov.sa

The ministry called on Qatar not to block the webpage as it did previously and “cooperate in order to allow its citizens to perform Hajj easily.”

Saudi Arabia is one of several Arab countries that launched a boycott of Qatar in 2017 over the country’s support for extremist groups.

The embargo includes transport restrictions between Qatar and Saudi Arabia, but the Kingdom has taken measures to ensure pilgrims from Qatar can travel freely for Hajj and Umrah.

The ministry said on Saturday it had taken several steps to ensure pilgrims could enter Saudi Arabia for for Hajj, which starts next month. But the ministry accused the Qatari government of blocking attempts by its citizens to perform the pilgrimage.

Following a recent meeting with a Qatari delegation to discuss the logistics of pilgrims from the country arriving in the Kingdom, the delegation from Doha left without signing any agreements to enable access for it citizens, according to the ministry.

In response to Doha’s actions, the statement said that Qatari pilgrims could complete their applications upon arrival in Saudi Arabia.