Saudi Arabia to stage Anthony Joshua v Andy Ruiz Jr world heavyweight fight

Andy Ruiz Jr in action with Anthony Joshua in New York in June. (Reuters)
Updated 11 August 2019

Saudi Arabia to stage Anthony Joshua v Andy Ruiz Jr world heavyweight fight

  • The bout will take place in Diriyah, which incorporates the UNESCO World Heritage site of Al-Turaif
  • The event is the latest high-profile sport contest to take place in the Kingdom

LONDON: Saudi Arabia will host the world heavyweight title rematch between Britain’s Anthony Joshua and champion Andy Ruiz Jr of the United States in December.
The high-profile Dec. 7 duel, dubbed ‘Clash on the Dunes’, will see Joshua trying to win back the IBF, WBA and WBO titles he sensationally lost to Ruiz in New York in June.

 

The bout will take place in Diriyah, which incorporates the UNESCO World Heritage site of Al-Turaif, on the outskirts of Riyadh.
Promoters Matchroom Boxing said the fight details will be officially revealed at a news conference in London on Monday.
The rematch had been widely touted but Cardiff’s Principality Stadium was tipped as favorite to stage the event.
The event is the latest high-profile sport contest to take place in the Kingdom.
In February, Saudi Arabia hosted a first European Tour golf event which was won by former world number one Dustin Johnson while the world’s most gruelling motor sports race, the Dakar Rally, will be raced in the country in 2020.
In July this year, British boxer Amir Khan won the WBC international welterweight title with a fourth round stoppage of Australian Billy Dib in Jeddah.
*With AFP

 

 


Floyd Mayweather posts video about heading to Saudi Arabia for talks on Manny Pacquiao rematch

Updated 19 August 2019

Floyd Mayweather posts video about heading to Saudi Arabia for talks on Manny Pacquiao rematch

  • Mayweather, the undefeated 50-0 fighter, beat Pacquiao at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas in 2015
  • Mayweather's last two fights saw him in a bout against MMA champion Conor McGregor in August 2017 and rookie Japanese kickboxer Tenshin Nasukawa

LONDON: Floyd Mayweather released a video on Sunday saying he was traveling to Saudi Arabia for talks on a rematch with Filipino boxing superstar Manny Pacquiao.
Mayweather, the undefeated 50-0 fighter, beat Pacquiao at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas in 2015 and it looks like the Kingdom could host the second bout between the two.

In the video, Mayweather said: “It’s an honor to come to Saudi Arabia to sit down with you guys to talk about the Mayweather vs Pacquiao rematch. Saudi Arabia — Floyd ‘Money’ Mayweather — I’m on my way.”
Mayweather's last two fights saw him in a bout against MMA champion Conor McGregor in August 2017 and rookie Japanese kickboxer Tenshin Nasukawa on New Year’s Eve, the latter not counting toward his professional record.
There has been no official announcement from Saudi authorities.