Abdullah Pleased With 9/11 Report

| نسخة PDF Send to Friend Print News | A A

Staff Writer

Published — Sunday 15 August 2004

Last Update 15 August 2004 3:00 am

JEDDAH, 15 August 2004 — Crown Prince Abdullah yesterday expressed satisfaction over the 9/11 Commission’s report on Saudi Arabia and said it had exonerated the Kingdom and Islam from terrorist charges.

The 9/11 Commission confirmed last month that it had found no evidence that the government of Saudi Arabia funded Al-Qaeda terrorist network and the 9/11 hijackers received funding from Saudi citizen Omar Al-Bayoumi, or from Princess Haifa Al-Faisal, wife of Ambassador to the United States Prince Bandar ibn Sultan.

“Thank God, the commission has acquitted your country as well as Islam. This is very important for us. I can assure you that your government is going ahead in the path of truth and justice,” Prince Abdullah said while addressing a group of citizens who voiced their support to the Kingdom’s efforts to stamp out terrorism.

Prince Abdullah reiterated that Saudi security forces would continue their campaign to hunt down the remaining terrorists on the wanted list. “With regard to the deviant group, we are after them,” he said referring to Al-Qaeda sympathizers.

“Those who try to undermine the Kingdom will be disappointed and will have a disgraceful end,” the crown prince said.

Prince Abdullah received delegations of Hamdan and Al-Hamda tribes who denounced the terrorist attacks targeting the Kingdom and its holy places and supported the measures taken by the government to ensure security and stability in the country.

Turki to Field Questions on Security

Brig. Gen. Mansour Al-Turki, who was recently appointed the Interior Ministry’s official spokesman, said he was ready to answer questions from the media on the Kingdom’s efforts to fight terrorism.

Speaking to Asharq Al-Awsat, Turki said he would cooperate with journalists by providing them with necessary information. “My duties include holding of press conferences whenever necessary,” he said.

Turki made his first official appearance on Thursday when he urged the media to refrain from reports based on rumors.

Turki was formerly director of Haj affairs at the Interior Ministry.

| نسخة PDF Send to Friend Print News | A A

Comments

Events & Exhibitions

Stay Connected

Facebook