Families reject their children with disabilities

There are some parents who genuinely care about their children with disabilities. (SPA)
Updated 26 May 2016

Families reject their children with disabilities

JEDDAH: Many children with disabilities are abandoned by their parents, siblings and other family members at rehabilitation centers in the Kingdom, said to media report on Wednesday.
Some children receive no visits, while others are not taken back by their families after the completion of their treatment, the report quoted sources as saying.
There are currently 1,152 children and young people of all ages in the country’s rehabilitation centers, with Jeddah having the most at 550, followed by Makkah with 175 and Qunfudha with 78.
Aziza Al-Shahri, director of the Comprehensive Rehabilitation Center for Girls in Jeddah, said that the facility has 350 males and 200 females from age three upward. Of this number, there are 18 in its special unit, she said.
Al-Shahri said the Ministry of Labor and Social Development should try to intervene because these children need their families. “It’s so sad that society has this culture of rejecting children with disabilities,” she said.
Amani Ammoriehi, a psychologist at the center, said emotional and physical contact is vital for good mental health. When these children do not have contact with their families they become aggressive and may even stop eating.
Al-Shahri said there are some parents who genuinely care about their children with disabilities but cannot travel long distances to rehabilitation centers because of old age or cost. This is when the facility uses social workers to keep in constant telephonic and other contact with them.


Drones hit Aramco plant, Houthis claim responsibiltiy

Updated 17 August 2019

Drones hit Aramco plant, Houthis claim responsibiltiy

  • Houthis claim responsibility for the attack on the plant
  • The drones hit the plant, causing a small fire that was quickly extinguished

DUBAI: The Saudi energy minister Khalid Al-Falih has confirmed that a drone strike hit the Shaybah natural gas liquefaction facility causing a small fire on Saturday.

In a statement condemning the attack, Falih said there had been “no injuries” and that the fire had been put out after the several drones were fired at the plant.

“This cowardly attack once again highlights the importance of the international community's response to all terrorist agents who carry out such acts of sabotage, including the Iran backed Houthi militias,” Falih said in the statement.

The Houthis later claimed responsibility for the attack.

“Saudi Aramco’s response team controlled a limited fire this morning at the Shaybah NGL facility,” a statement released on the oil giant’s website read.

“There were no injuries and no interruptions to Saudi Aramco’s oil operations. We will provide further details as they become available.”

The Houthis have carried out a number of attacks on Saudi Arabia in recent weeks and months, targeting residential areas and airports.