Suicide attacks hit Madinah, Qatif; 6 killed

1 / 3
In this still image from a video circulated on social media, two officers are visible on the ground after an explosion near a police post outside the Prophet's Mosque in Madinah after sundown on Monday.
2 / 3
A scene from the Qa
3 / 3
A combination of images circulated on social networks show people coming out of a mosque in Qatif after a suicide bomber exploded himself outside.
Updated 05 July 2016
0

Suicide attacks hit Madinah, Qatif; 6 killed

JEDDAH: Suicide bombers blew themselves up in Qatif and Madinah after sundown on Monday, several hours after Saudi security officers foiled an attack near the US Consulate in Jeddah.
In Madinah, a bomb exploded in the vicinity of a police post outside the Prophet’s Mosque, killing four policemen and two civilians, reports said.
A police source told Arab News that the officers manning the post were having their iftar meal when the suicide bomber struck.
The bomber reportedly asked to join the policemen in having iftar and he was welcomed. As soon as he got near, he exploded his suicide vest.
A video circulated on social media showed a car burning and at least two security officers were seen lying on the open ground and two others lay crumpled near a burning car.
Security forces have cordoned off the Prophet's Mosque and worshippers were not allowed to get in or out.
Madinah Governor Prince Faisal bin Salman arrived at the blast location and visited Al Ansar Hospital where the victims of the blast are being treated.
In Qatif, a governorate in the Eastern Province, two suicide bombers blew themselves up one after the other outside the Faraj Al-Omran Mosque. No casualties were reported.
The number of fatalities reported does not include the three suicide bombers.
Earlier Monday at 2:15 a.m., a suicide bomber blew himself up near the US Consulate when security officers confronted him as he moved suspiciously at a parking lot of the Dr. Soliman Fakeeh Hospital.
Maj. Gen. Mansour Al-Turki, spokesman of the Ministry of Interior, said the bomber, in his 30s, was identified as an expatriate from the United Kingdom.
Photos taken from the scene showed the bomber’s body partially dismembered by the blast.
No group has claimed responsibility for the attacks so far. Previous mosque attacks in the past months in the kingdom have been claimed by Daesh militants.

RELATED VIDEO: Suicide bombing near Prophet's Mosque in Madinah

 
 


Media urged to deny Christchurch shooting accused the publicity he seeks

Updated 21 March 2019
0

Media urged to deny Christchurch shooting accused the publicity he seeks

  • “We’re just going to be very careful we don’t become a platform for any kind of extremist agenda,” say Radio New Zealand chief
  • Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern earlier urged the public not to speak the gunman's name to deny the infamy he wants

CHRISTCHURCH, New Zealand: The media has been urged to stop naming the man charged with the shootings at two mosques in Christchurch last week that left 50 people dead.

Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said on Tuesday that she would never speak his name. In a speech to parliament, she urged the public to follow suit and deny the gunman the infamy he wants.
“I implore you, speak the names of those who were lost, rather than the name of the man who took them,” she added. “He may have sought notoriety but we in New Zealand will give him nothing, not even his name.”
Arden said the media can “play a strong role” in limiting coverage of extreme views such as his.
“Of course, people will want to know what is happening with the trial,” she said. “But I would hope there are ways that it could be covered without adding to the notoriety that this individual seeks.
“But the one thing I can assure you – you won’t hear me speak his name.”
The man accused of the mass shootings has so far been charged with one count of murder, but New Zealand Police Commissioner Mike Bush has said further charges will be brought against him. The man said in a manifesto posted online shortly before the attacks that he intended to survive so that he could continue to spread his ideals, and that he intends to plead not guilty. He has said he plans to represent himself in court, although a judge can order a lawyer to assist him.
There have been calls for the media to refuse to report anything he says during the trial. Paul Thompson, the chief executive of Radio New Zealand, said his station will exercise caution and asked editors at all media outlets to take part in a discussion about covering the case.
“We’re just going to be very careful we don’t become a platform for any kind of extremist agenda,” he said, explaining that the station does not want to inflame the situation or become a party to the accused killer’s agenda.
Thompson described the case as “uncharted territory” but said he remains confident that his reporters will do their jobs professionally.
Dr Philip Cass, a senior lecturer in journalism at Auckland’s Unitec Institute of Technology, said the media will have to make “a very fine judgment” about what is reported if the accused killer uses the court as “a forum for the expression of his opinion.” He was wary, however, of calls to completely avoid reporting what is said in court.
“If you do that then we are moving into an area of censorship,” he said, adding that it is the media’s responsibility to provide a record of what is said and done.
Dr Catherine Strong, a journalism lecturer at Massey University, said she is confident that the media in New Zealand media will act responsibly. There is no legal or ethical imperative for journalists to report everything the accused says in court, she pointed out. The country’s media has already shown maturity by not using the name of the accused in headlines and by focusing on covering the shootings from the perspective of the victims, Strong added.

Hal Crawford, the chief news officer at MediaWorks, which owns TV3 and RadioLive in New Zealand, said, "Newshub is open to an industry-wide set of guidelines for reporting on Tarrant's trial, and we are in discussions with other newsrooms. Our aims are to minimise publicity of damaging ideology while reporting the workings of justice objectively." 

The man, who has not yet entered a plea, is due to appear in court again on April 5.