United Nations’ bias on Yemen questioned

Updated 03 August 2016
0

United Nations’ bias on Yemen questioned

JEDDAH: Yemen’s former media official has questioned the neutrality of the United Nations on the issue of his country and said that the world body’s reputation is at stake.
Mokhtar Al-Rahbi, former press secretary to Yemen’s president, said the “report of the United Nations in which it cited violations of children’s rights in Yemen by the Saudi-led Arab coalition is unfair and incorrect.”
“It contains falsification of facts in terms of Saudi advocacy for the legitimacy in Yemen and its stand beside the president legitimately recognized by the international community,” he said.
Speaking to a local newspaper, Al-Rahbi stressed the fact that the coalition forces had not targeted civilians or children, unlike the Houthi militias who have so far killed 60,000 Yemeni troops, and 10,000, children according to their own statements, as well as their admission that they are using children in their war, as the age group of their fighters ranges from 13 to 21 years.
“Saudi Arabia is one of the world’s greatest supporters of Yemen. Between 2011 and 2015, Saudi Arabia paid more than SR8 billion in cash and in the form of oil products and relief materials. Saudi Arabia has no personal enmity with Yemen to target children and women; on the contrary, the Kingdom came to their support and help,” said Al-Rahbi.
The former press secretary said that the people of Yemen will never forget this favor.
He cited the events in Taiz on Monday, asserting that there was clear evidence of who kills children and dozens of civilians, especially the massacre against children, regarded as one of the dozens of massacres committed in all regions in Yemen.
“The Yemeni government and the coalition forces are negotiating in Kuwait on a peaceful settlement while the massacres and violations are committed in the country,” he added.
He wondered why the UN up till now has not classified the Houthis as terrorists like Al-Qaeda, who kill and destroy people according to their doctrines and sects.


Saudi customs thwart smuggling attempts on buses transporting Umrah worshippers

Updated 19 May 2019
0

Saudi customs thwart smuggling attempts on buses transporting Umrah worshippers

RIYADH: The Halat Ammar Customs on the Kingdom’s northwestern border prevented two attempts to smuggle a quantity of 184,737 Fenethylline tablets, also known by the brand name of Captagon.
The pills were discovered hidden on two buses that were transporting passengers to the Kingdom’s holy sites.
Mohammed Qaisi, the customs general manager, said the first bus was carrying 47 passengers and after the customs procedures were finalized and the passengers were processed, a bag containing 100,000 tablets was found.
“The narcotics were hidden in an artistic way and were placed inside the bag’s lining,” he said.
Qaisi also said the second attempt was thwarted in a similar way. The other bus was transporting 31 passengers, on which a total of 84,737 Captagon pills were seized.
Saudi Arabia usually witnesses a rise of smuggling attempts during the Umrah and Hajj seasons, as they are exploited by smugglers trying to transport narcotics and other contraband. 
Saudi Customs said it is exerting great efforts and working with all its human and technical capabilities to prevent the entry of illegal substances.