Saudi firms invited for export development forum in Lanka

Updated 06 September 2016
0

Saudi firms invited for export development forum in Lanka

RIYADH: The “16th World Export Development Forum (WEDF) is scheduled to be held in  Colombo, Sri Lanka, from  Oct. 12 to 13 under the theme of ‘Trade for Success: Connect, Compete, Change’.
The World Export Development Forum (WEDF) is an annual flagship event of the International Trade Center (ITC), Geneva, which brings together around 400 business practitioners from around the world to debate and identify practical solutions that contribute to trade-led inclusive sustainable development.
A special feature of WEDF 2016 in Colombo is a schedule of dedicated Business to Business (B2B) meetings for which over 100 Sri Lankan companies from the sectors mentioned below will be participating.
This will offer an excellent platform for Saudi Companies to meet business partners from Sri Lanka.
Special incentives such as a 25 percent discount on airfare on Sri Lankan Airlines and concessionary accommodation for 3 nights, etc. will be offered for potential Saudi businesses.
The sectors in focus are: information and communication technologies (ICTs), apparels, tourism, rubber-based products,
specialty food: tea and spices, manufacturing products and processed food.
South Asia’s most focused and largest international Boat Show and Fisheries Exhibition 2016 will also be held from Oct. 13 to Oct. 15 in Colombo and participants of the World Export Development Forum will be given an opportunity to visit this event as well.
Presentations on Investment opportunities in Sri Lanka and Sri Lanka product Exhibitions will also take place in parallel to WEDF 2016.
Investors and companies interested in taking part in these events can contact Gayan Rajapaksa/commercial secretary/Embassy of Sri Lanka in Riyadh (Tel: 011 4608251, mobile: 050 4481634 fax: 011-4608846, and e-mail: [email protected]/[email protected])


Glencore launches $1 billion additional share buyback

Updated 17 min 31 sec ago
0

Glencore launches $1 billion additional share buyback

  • Glencore said in July it would buy back shares worth up to $1 billion in a program of purchases running to the end of 2018
  • Many mining stocks have pared gains over the past few months as metals markets weakened

LONDON: Commodities trader and miner Glencore said on Tuesday it would repurchase more of its shares worth up to $1 billion, increasing the size of an existing buyback program that followed a subpoena from US authorities.
Glencore said in July it would buy back shares worth up to $1 billion in a program of purchases running to the end of 2018. It has now extended the program to the end of February 2019.
The London-listed miner, with a market capitalization of $61 billion, announced plans to repurchase shares after the US government investigation into bribery and corruption sent the stock down more than 15 percent since the start 2018.
Companies across the mining industry have been handing money back to shareholders after a recovery from the mining and commodity crash of 2015-16 and in response to pressure from investors not to spend cash on buying assets that they say may never deliver returns.
Global miner Rio Tinto said last week it will return $3.2 billion to shareholders from its sale of Australian coal assets in addition to existing buyback programs.
Glencore’s share price had already been hit by concerns about political risk in Democratic Republic of Congo, where it mines just over a quarter of the global output of cobalt, because of a mining code that was signed into law in June.
After publishing first-half results just below analyst forecasts in August, the company, which has aggressively slashed its debt since 2015, said it would favor share buybacks over deal-making.
Many mining stocks have pared gains over the past few months as metals markets weakened in response to global trade tensions and uncertainty about Chinese demand.