Deportees spoil Saudia’s new Airbus A330 plane

LACKING CIVIC SENSE: The video clip of the unhygienic conditions in the toilets went viral on social media.
Updated 07 September 2016
0

Deportees spoil Saudia’s new Airbus A330 plane

JEDDAH: The first flight of Saudi Arabian Airlines (Saudia) Airbus A330 from Jeddah to Addis Ababa in Ethiopia grabbed international attention for all the wrong reasons.

A video clip circulated by a passenger shows unhygienic conditions in the toilets, including human waste left on one of the toilet seats, and tissues littering the gangway of the plane. The shocking footage sparked an outrage on social media, with some blaming the crew for failing to sanitize the plane and some criticizing the passengers for ignoring the basic rules of cleanliness.
The video clip was shared by several media outlets, including Britain’s Daily Mail site and Mirror newspaper. 
A source at Saudia, who refused to be identified, told Arab News that most of the passengers on the aircraft were deportees. He declined further comment.
Speaking to Arab News, a Saudi citizen, Muhammad Al-Saed, said, “If I were a passenger on the flight, I would have filed a complaint with Saudia as well as GACA (General Authority of Civil Aviation). I would also expect a compensation.”
Although the blame must be shared between the passengers and the airline, Saudia must get the bigger share of blame, he said.
“The crew must always keep the airplane clean. It is Saudia’s fault if the crew is understaffed,” he added.


Saudi Arabia says UN Khashoggi report contains ‘baseless allegations’ and ‘contradictions’

Updated 32 min 14 sec ago
0

Saudi Arabia says UN Khashoggi report contains ‘baseless allegations’ and ‘contradictions’

  • Minister of State for Foreign Affairs Adel Al-Jubeir said the report contained 'nothing new.'
  • Saudi Arabia late indicted 11 people for the killing and prosecutors are seeking the death penalty against five of them

RIYADH: Saudi Arabia said Wednesday that a report by a UN expert on the murder of Jamal Khashoggi contains “baseless allegations” and “contradictions.”

Minister of State for Foreign Affairs Adel Al-Jubeir said the report contained “nothing new.”

He said the judicial authorities in the Kingdom are the only ones competent to investigate the case and that a number of suspects have already been arrested.

The report “contains clear contradictions and baseless allegations which challenge its credibility,” he said on Twitter.

“We strongly reject any attempt to prejudice the Kingdom’s leadership or to remove the case from the course of justice in the Kingdom or influencing it in any way.”

The report released Wednesday by UN special rapporteur on extrajudicial, summary or arbitrary executions, Agnes Callamard, said the murder of Khashoggi was the responsibility of the state of Saudi Arabia.

Saudi Arabia late last year indicted 11 people for the killing and prosecutors are seeking the death penalty against five of them.

Saudi prosecutors said Khashoggi was killed by a “rogue operation” in a botched attempt to repatriate him. 

Al-Jubeir said the trials are being attended by representatives from the embassies of the five permanent members of the UN Security Council in addition to Turkey and Saudi human rights organizations.