‘Work from home’ project to begin next month

Updated 06 December 2014
0

‘Work from home’ project to begin next month

The Ministry of Labor has initiated the trial application of telecommuting programs that will continue until the end of December, pending a ministerial decision that should outline the parameters of remote work, a source in the ministry said.
The ministry will officially announce the new telework program this January, in the hope that it will encourage Saudi women to work, as well as open more employment opportunities for disabled people.
According to the official source, young Saudis of both sexes have already started to work remotely with a number of companies that registered their names in the social insurance program, a factor that indicates that the program is already in its final stages.
The ministry will monitor the trial application of the program to follow up on its progress. One of the main targets of the program is to eliminate fake and ghost employment, and to allow more flexibility for employers.
The ministry allowed a grace period for the public to discuss the issue on its “Maan” (together) portal. Remote work employees under Nitaqat will include Saudi women and other categories of employees, who can benefit from the conditions of telecommuting, such as disabled people or those with chronic diseases.
Each working disabled person will be counted as four Saudi workers when calculating the Saudization ratio, on condition that their salary will not be less than SR3,000 and the employee is already registered in the social insurance program.
As for women, the new regulation stipulates the age segment to be between 18 and years, with prospective employees already registered in the social insurance program.
To encourage employers to hire women, the Saudization ratio for female workers will be calculated by 1.25, meaning that when a company hires four women, they are counted as five in the ratio.


Saudi Arabia’s KSRelief chief meets UN humanitarian coordinator for Yemen

Updated 3 min 26 sec ago
0

Saudi Arabia’s KSRelief chief meets UN humanitarian coordinator for Yemen

JEDDAH: Dr. Abdullah Al-Rabeeah, general supervisor of the King Salman Humanitarian Aid and Relief Center (KSRelief), met on Saturday with Lise Grande, the UN’s humanitarian coordinator for Yemen, at the center’s headquarters in Riyadh.
They discussed means of cooperating and providing support to the mechanism of humanitarian and relief work in Yemen.
They also reviewed operations taking place on the ground, as well as subjects of common interest.
Al-Rabeeah showcased the humanitarian assistance provided by KSRelief in Yemen, and the 321 projects it has implemented there so far.
Topics discussed included the $500 million grant from Saudi Arabia and the UAE to the UN “to alleviate the suffering of the brotherly Yemeni people in 2018,” he said.
“We also examined the mechanism ensuring that humanitarian assistance reaches all Yemenis without exception,” he added.
“The meeting looked into ways to avoid Houthi violations when it comes to humanitarian aid, especially those related to the looting of aid provided by the World Food Programme (WFP),” Al-Rabeeah said, adding that they discussed “our strategic partnership” in 2019 and alleviating the famine in Yemen.
Grande said the meeting was of great importance, adding: “It discussed the famine in Yemen, possible solutions, and how to provide rapid assistance to the Yemeni people.”
She said: “The Kingdom’s contribution through KSRelief is crucial. The center provided us with tips on how to put an end to the famine in Yemen.”
She added: “We have to help Yemeni families so they can have a proper source of income. We seek to develop the work environment to facilitate the task for humanitarian workers.”
Grande stressed the importance of addressing all violations, and expressed her happiness at Yemeni officials agreeing to allow the WFP to use a fingerprint system to identify beneficiaries.