More Filipinos evacuated from Yemen

Updated 12 April 2015
0

More Filipinos evacuated from Yemen

A total of 240 Filipinos out of the 464 have been evacuated from war-torn Yemen since April 5, Philippines Ambassador Ezzedin H. Tago has said.
Among those evacuated, by land through the Saudi-Yemen border, were nine other foreigners, Tago told Arab News from Jazan.
“The last batch was evacuated on April 9 and included 79 Filipinos and six foreigners,” he said, adding that the foreigners included four Singaporeans, a Yemeni couple and an Egyptian nurse.
“They started their trip from Sanaa in the morning and arrived in Saudi Arabia in the evening of the same day,” the envoy said.
The group was assisted at the border by a team from the Consulate General led by acting Consul General Leo Tito L. Ausan Jr. The embassy in Riyadh arranged their flights from Jazan to Riyadh and Manila.
“I wish to thank the Saudi government for allowing entry of evacuees from Yemen through the Tuwal border and granting them transit visas,” Tago said.
The processing at the Saudi-Yemeni border has been generally smooth, he said. “There are composite teams from the embassy and the consulate at the border to assist in the processing of entry of Filipino evacuees.”
Tago said that at present, three Filipinos in Sanaa and 42 in Saada, northern Yemen, have registered for repatriation.
“The Philippine Embassy’s crisis management team in Sanaa, led by Consul Winston Dean Almeda, is arranging for the next group of evacuees, mainly from Saada,” he said.
Tago appealed to all Filipinos in Yemen to immediately contact the embassy team to arrange for their evacuation.
“I was in Yemen from March 20 to April 5 to urge all Filipinos there to leave and avail themselves of the mandatory repatriation. Starting in October 2014, the Philippine government raised the alert level to 3 and advised everyone to leave Yemen,” he said.


Women pit themselves against male drivers in Saudi Arabia’s Formula E race

Updated 21 November 2018
0

Women pit themselves against male drivers in Saudi Arabia’s Formula E race

  • The Rookie Test will take place on December 16 at the newly transformed ancient site into Formula E race track
  • The list consists of a varied group of up-and-coming talent along with well-known faces

DUBAI: Women drivers will compete against male counterparts in Formula E’s “Rookie Test” for up and coming drivers after the inaugural Saudia Ad Diriyah E-Prix race on December 15.

The Rookie Test will take place on December 16 at the newly transformed ancient site into Formula E race track, the Kingdom’s General sports authority said.

Female drivers will line up against male rivals on the grid to take part in the official in-season test for the forthcoming season of the FIA ABB Formula E Championship.

The list consists of a varied group of up-and-coming talent along with well-known faces, including the first Emirati female racing driver, Amna Al-Qubaisi.

Al-Qubaisi has had a steep progression in her career so far, starting karting aged 13, and going on to win the UAE Rotax Max Challenge Championship before more recently competing in Formula 4 with Prema Theodore Racing.

“I'm very proud to be representing women in general and Arabian women in particular. This test drive is another stepping-stone towards my dream of a professional career in motorsports and thanks to the continuous support of Kaspersky Lab, this dream will eventually come true,” Al-Qubaisi said.

Saudi Princess Haifa bint Mohammed bin Saud, Secretary General of the organizing committee for the race, said: “Through the increased participation in and hosting of world-class sports within Vision 2030, we want to inspire the young people of Saudi Arabia towards greater achievement and taking an active role in every part of life.”