Ministry to intensify campaign against illegal businesses

Updated 26 May 2015
0

Ministry to intensify campaign against illegal businesses

JEDDAH: The Ministry of Commerce and Industry will intensify its campaign against illegal business (tasattur) as it eats into the country’s economy and obstructs Saudi investment in various business sectors, Tariq bin Abdullah Al-Naeem, deputy minister for internal trade, has said.
“The ministry is in the process of following international standards in organizing and classifying trade activities. It is also building a databank for business activities across the Kingdom,” he said, adding that the new measures would be implemented within a few days.
Al-Naeem emphasized on the ministry’s efforts to create more investment opportunities for Saudis by intensifying its campaign against illegal businesses run by expatriates.
The minister made this statement while addressing businessmen and businesswomen at Al-Ahsa Chamber of Commerce and Industry. “Tasattur leads to expats’ monopolizing certain business activities, thus preventing Saudis from investing,” he pointed out.
He also spoke about the negative impact of tasattur on the economy and society. “It increases unemployment among Saudis and creates social and security problems,” he said, calling upon citizens to cooperate with the ministry to end tasattur.
Al-Naeem referred to the ministry’s plan to launch a new trade strategy, adding that a specialized consultancy firm has been appointed for the purpose. “We are in the process of revising 30 trade-related laws matching new developments.” Hailing the ministry’s electronic services, he said it was instrumental in extending quick services to businesses.
The ministry has established electronic linkage between notaries and all its branches.


Saudi ministry’s priority access plan ‘helps thousands’

Updated 3 min 44 sec ago
0

Saudi ministry’s priority access plan ‘helps thousands’

  • The initiative is one of a set of programs launched by the ministry to improve social services
RIYADH: More than 3,000 Saudis have benefitted from a pioneering initiative launched last week to give people with special needs improved access to government services and departments.
The Ministry of Labor and Social Development’s “Priority for Them” initiative focuses on four segments of society — the elderly, disabled, pregnant women and new mothers — giving them priority in waiting areas and queues to ensure better service.
The community awareness initiative, which kicked off on Wednesday, under the slogan “You are more worthy … Your well-being is our duty,” has helped thousands of people with special needs, according to Youssef bin Musafir Al-Sayali, the ministry’s director in Riyadh.
A mobile platform supervised by 15 ministry employees and volunteers from the Society for Physically Disabled Adults (Harakia) introduced sites that included King Khalid International Airport, King Saud Medical City hospital and Al-Makan Mall.
The initiative is one of a set of programs launched by the ministry to improve social services. According to the General Authority of Statistics in 2018, the plans could provide more than 5 million Saudi people with a fast track to essential services.