Kuwait imposes limited control on entry of Saudis

Updated 26 July 2015
0

Kuwait imposes limited control on entry of Saudis

JEDDAH: The security agencies of Kuwait have imposed a limited control over entry of Saudis into their country, said an online newspaper.
This is being done to tighten security measures at various entry points of the country following the terror attack on June 26 at Imam Sadiq Mosque, which left 25 people dead and over 200 injured.
Brig. Gen. Adil Al-Hashshash, director general of public relations and security media, told the newspaper that the number of those who were barred from entering Kuwait was very small and they had some security issues.
He said the ban had come as a result of “precautionary actions and required measures due to the situation in the region... and that the situation should not be open as in the past.”
Al-Hashshash said that the security situation in Kuwait was “moving in the right direction. The measures taken by the ministry would not give the vandals any chance.”
The newspaper said that the Saudi Embassy in Kuwait has received a number of complaints from Saudis who have been barred from entering Kuwait through the Al-Nuwaisib corridor of Al-Khafji border. They were not given a clear reason for the denial of the entry.
An official at the Saudi Embassy told the newspaper that the picture is not clear and that perhaps this may be due to the security measures. He said that the embassy would follow up these cases with the security agencies of Kuwait.
In a statement, the Kuwaiti ministry of interior said that the movement of people coming and leaving the country during the Eid holidays was successful despite the huge rush, which was seen at the land corridors during this period.
Hashshash said that arrivals and departures on Thursday were intense — the number of arrivals from the Al Nuvaisib corridoor was 11,959 and departures 13,626 people. At Al Salimi corridor, arrivals were 6,791 and departures 8,598. At the Al Abdalali corridor, arrivals were 654 and departures 1,743. The total number of arrivals was 19,409 and departures 23,967 in the total three corridors. It means the total traveling on Thursday was 43,376.


Saudi Arabia calls on Qatar to allow its pilgrims to perform Hajj

Updated 51 min 47 sec ago
0

Saudi Arabia calls on Qatar to allow its pilgrims to perform Hajj

  • The ministry accused the Qatari government of blocking attempts by its citizens to perform the pilgrimage
  • Saudi Arabia is one of several Arab countries that launched a boycott of Qatar in 2017 over the country’s support for extremist groups

RIYADH: Saudi Arabia’s Ministry of Hajj and Umrah has created a new webpage for Qataris who wish to perform the pilgrimage this year.
Qatari Hajj pilgrims can register their details, browse packages and pay for them at: https://qh1440.haj.gov.sa

The ministry called on Qatar not to block the webpage as it did previously and “cooperate in order to allow its citizens to perform Hajj easily.”

Saudi Arabia is one of several Arab countries that launched a boycott of Qatar in 2017 over the country’s support for extremist groups.

The embargo includes transport restrictions between Qatar and Saudi Arabia, but the Kingdom has taken measures to ensure pilgrims from Qatar can travel freely for Hajj and Umrah.

The ministry said on Saturday it had taken several steps to ensure pilgrims could enter Saudi Arabia for for Hajj, which starts next month. But the ministry accused the Qatari government of blocking attempts by its citizens to perform the pilgrimage.

Following a recent meeting with a Qatari delegation to discuss the logistics of pilgrims from the country arriving in the Kingdom, the delegation from Doha left without signing any agreements to enable access for it citizens, according to the ministry.

In response to Doha’s actions, the statement said that Qatari pilgrims could complete their applications upon arrival in Saudi Arabia.