Medical error leads to girl’s permanent disability

Updated 09 October 2015

Medical error leads to girl’s permanent disability

JEDDAH: Nora Al-Askar was hospitalized at the Children’s Hospital in Hafr Al-Batin because of a high fever. Now she is in a coma with possible handicaps.

Nora, a kindergarten pupil, may now have a mental or physical disability or both. She went into a coma less than a day after being anesthetized.
Amer Al-Askar, Nora’s father, accused hospital doctors of negligence and failure to check her medical file which states that her head had had a valve implanted in it since birth. Amer made the problem clear to the doctors.
Nora’s father explained that he took his daughter from kindergarten because of her high fever. “I rushed to the Children’s Hospital in Hafr Al-Batin.”
When the doctor made a diagnosis, he put her under full anesthetic. “The next day, her condition deteriorated and she went into a coma,” her father said. He stressed that he had repeatedly told the doctors at the time of the initial diagnosis that a valve had been placed in her head at birth. “They ignored the warning and downplayed its importance,” he said.
Al-Askar says that after several days and repeated demands to transfer his daughter to a specialized hospital, she was finally accepted at King Saud Medical Complex in Riyadh, and was moved there by ambulance.
“Once in Riyadh, the specialist looked at the X-rays from Hafr Al-Batin and saw immediately that the valve was closed and that this had caused the problem,” he said.
Nora has undergone three emergency operations and is still in the intensive care unit. Her father said that the doctors informed him that she would suffer varying degrees of physical and mental disabilities.
Al-Askar held the medical treatment she had received responsible for her condition and asked that she be transferred to a specialized center for treatment outside the country.
Abdul Aziz Al-Anzi, the media spokesman for health affairs in Hafr Al-Batin, said that the patient had been put to sleep in order to receive medical treatment. “Necessary precautions were taken, according to the resources available, including providing her with a respirator to keep her safe. We sent requests to transfer Nora to a specialized hospital until she could be transferred to King Saud Hospital,” he said.
“We initiated an investigation and if negligence is proved, the case will be transferred to the medical violations committee or the Shariah Medical Committee which will decide what must be done.”

Drones hit Aramco plant, Houthis claim responsibiltiy

Updated 17 August 2019

Drones hit Aramco plant, Houthis claim responsibiltiy

  • Houthis claim responsibility for the attack on the plant
  • The drones hit the plant, causing a small fire that was quickly extinguished

DUBAI: The Saudi energy minister Khalid Al-Falih has confirmed that a drone strike hit the Shaybah natural gas liquefaction facility causing a small fire on Saturday.

In a statement condemning the attack, Falih said there had been “no injuries” and that the fire had been put out after the several drones were fired at the plant.

“This cowardly attack once again highlights the importance of the international community's response to all terrorist agents who carry out such acts of sabotage, including the Iran backed Houthi militias,” Falih said in the statement.

The Houthis later claimed responsibility for the attack.

“Saudi Aramco’s response team controlled a limited fire this morning at the Shaybah NGL facility,” a statement released on the oil giant’s website read.

“There were no injuries and no interruptions to Saudi Aramco’s oil operations. We will provide further details as they become available.”

The Houthis have carried out a number of attacks on Saudi Arabia in recent weeks and months, targeting residential areas and airports.