Riyadh-Dammam high-speed train planned

Updated 15 December 2015
0

Riyadh-Dammam high-speed train planned

DAMMAM: The cities of Riyadh and Dammam will soon be connected by a high-speed electric train that will run at a speed of up to 300
kilometers per hour compared to the current 140km/h diesel-powered train, which will be increased to 160km/h before the end of this
year, said president of the Saudi Railways Organization (SRO).
"The speed of the diesel-powered train will be increased further to 180km/h next year, reducing the current travel time to three hours, which is the objective of the SRO. The service will be a replica of the Haramain high-speed train, and will go through Hofuf in its first
phase with a goal to establish another electric line between Riyadh and Al-Kharj."
He said that the passenger line from Hofuf to the capital will be duplicated by the end of the current year, recognizing that the
current travel time between the two cities, which is estimated at about four hours, is due to non-duplication of the line, and the presence of level crossings, forcing trains to ease their speed.
Regarding future plans to depend on electric traction, SRO stated: "The Kingdom still has diesel trains while the rest of the world is
using electric trains. So we have plans to go electric especially for the railway between Eastern Province and Riyadh, Riyadh and Al-Kharj."
"Eight new electric locomotives have been recently put in service and they will be followed by four new ones in less than a month, with the aim to increase the speed of trains and reduce travel time."
"We have a comprehensive expansion and development plan for the rail services that will be completed in 25 years. This will lead to modernization of the train system to provide quality services to the citizens and add to the rebound of the economy in the country," the official added.


Saudi Arabia ‘strongly condemns’ Houthi attack on Yemen UN monitors

Updated 49 min 14 sec ago
0

Saudi Arabia ‘strongly condemns’ Houthi attack on Yemen UN monitors

JEDDAH: Saudi Arabia on Friday strongly condemned the targeting of “UN personnel by the Iran-backed Houthi militia in Yemen” after cease-fire monitors came under fire.
The attack took place on Thursday in Hodeidah, where a truce agreed in talks in Sweden came into force last month.
The Houthi militia “have violated their signed commitments in Stockholm and continue to flout international law and escalate their aggression against the Yemeni people,” Saudi Arabia’s Ambassador to the United States Prince Khalid bin Salman tweeted on Friday.


The UN said one round of small arms fire struck a UN-marked armored vehicle that was part of convoy carrying chief monitor Patrick Cammaert.
The UN monitors arrived in Hodeida — the entry point for the bulk of Yemen’s imports — on Dec. 23. The UN Security Council this week agreed to expand the force to 75 monitors.