Lankan jumps to his death from hospital building

Updated 21 December 2015
0

Lankan jumps to his death from hospital building

QATIF: A 30-year-old Sri Lankan reportedly jumped to his death from the terrace of Qatif Central Hospital in the Eastern Province on Saturday.
The police are investigating the case and the reason for the expatriate taking his own life were yet to be ascertained, local media reported on Sunday.
“The police department in central Qatif received a report from the hospital about an Asian worker who committed suicide by jumping from the terrace of the hospital building,” police spokesman Col. Ziad Al-Ruqaiti was quoted as saying.
“Police and experts have launched an investigation into the incident. The body was being held in preparation for transferring the case to the Bureau of Investigation and Public Prosecution,” he added.
Saudi Arabia is home to some 550,000 of the total 1.5 million Sri Lankan’s currently working in the Middle East.
The Sri Lankan government had earlier this year announced a pension scheme for its overseas workers, if the workers complete two years of foreign employment.
A top official at the Ministry of Foreign Employment had said the new government has drawn up a package of proposed facilities and services to Sri Lankan overseas workers, including the pension scheme in recognition of their contributions to the country’s national development.


Saudi Arabia’s air defense intercepts Houthi ballistic missile fired towards Jazan

Updated 20 min 33 sec ago
0

Saudi Arabia’s air defense intercepts Houthi ballistic missile fired towards Jazan

  • Earlier this week, Saudi air defenses shot down a previous ballistic missile attack by the Houthis
  • The incident happened hours after the coalition warned of a “painful” response if the Houthis mounted new attacks on Saudi Arabia

Saudi air defense forces managed to intercept a ballistic missile fired by Houthi militias from Yemen headed in the direction of Saudi Arabia’s border province of Jazan on Friday.

Earlier this week, Saudi air defenses shot down a previous ballistic missile attack by the Houthis.

Colonel Turki Al-Maliki, the coalition's spokesman, said the missile was monitored by the Saudi Air Force to have been launched from Yemen's Amran province at 10:16 p.m. Monday toward populated areas in the southern Saudi province of Najran.

The missile was intercepted before it could hit its target, Al-Maliki said.

The incident happened hours after the coalition warned of a “painful” response if the Houthis mounted new attacks on Saudi Arabia using what it said were Iran-supplied drones.

So far, the Houthis have launched over 100 missiles at Saudi cities and installations.