Arab coalition working to reduce civilian deaths in Yemen — US State Department

US State Department spokesperson Heather Nauert and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo speak in the Press Briefing Room at the US Department of State in Washington, DC. (File photo / AFP)
Updated 14 September 2018

Arab coalition working to reduce civilian deaths in Yemen — US State Department

WASHINGTON: The Arab coalition fighting Houthi rebels in Yemen is taking steps to reduce civilian casualties, the US State Department said on Thursday as it defended a certification to Congress by Secretary of State Mike Pompeo to avoid limits on US aid to Saudi Arabia.
“They are taking steps, in the view of the US government and this administration, in the right direction,” State Department spokeswoman Heather Nauert told a briefing. “We see them taking steps...Do we see them doing what they can to mitigate civilian casualties? Absolutely we do,” she added.
Her comments came a day after Pompeo told Congress that Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates were working to reduce civilian casualties.
Pompeo said in a statement that he told Congress that the governments of Saudi Arabia and the UAE were taking concrete steps to reduce the risk of harming civilians and civilian infrastructure due to the operations of the Yemeni Legitimacy Alliance.
US Defense Secretary Jim Mattis confirmed that he fully supported and approved Pompeo’s certification, adding that Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates are making every effort to reduce the risk of civilian casualties and collateral damage.
Mattis also said the United States is working with the UN special envoy to achieve a negotiated end to the fighting.


Saudi Arabia announces 26 more deaths from COVID-19

Updated 01 October 2020

Saudi Arabia announces 26 more deaths from COVID-19

  • The total number of recoveries in the Kingdom has increased to 319,746
  • A total of 4,794 people have succumbed to the virus in the Kingdom so far

LONDON: Saudi Arabia announced 26 more deaths from the coronavirus and 492 new cases of the disease on Thursday.
Of the new cases, 55 were recorded in Madinah, 39 in Jeddah, 39 in Makkah, 27 in Dhahran, 26 in Riyadh and 26 in Hufof.
The total number of recoveries in the Kingdom increased to 319,746 after 592 more patients recovered from the virus.
A total of 4,794 people have succumbed to the virus in the Kingdom so far.