Coalition forces intercept 3 drones, one targeting Saudi Arabia’s Khamis Mushayt

A drone launched from Sanaa targetied the southwestern city of Khamis Mushayt. (SPA/File photo)
Updated 27 August 2019

Coalition forces intercept 3 drones, one targeting Saudi Arabia’s Khamis Mushayt

  • Two of the drones were launched from Sanaa
  • The second drone’s target was not specified

JEDDAH: The Arab coalition has destroyed three drones launched by Houthi militants in Yemen towards Saudi Arabia on Tuesday, the Saudi Press Agency (SPA) reported.
Col. Turki Al-Maliki, spokesman of the coalition, said one of the drones, launched from Sanaa, targeted the south-western city of Khamis Mushayt when it was intercepted.

The coalition did not specify where the last two drones were headed, but said that one of them was also launched from Sanaa. Both were shot down over Yemen.

The coalition later said the Houthis also fired a ballistic missile from Amran province on Tuesday evening that landed in Yemen's Saada province.
Col. Al-Maliki said the group “used civilian objects for the launch site” in Harf Sufyan district.
He said the Houthis “continue to violate international humanitarian law by firing ballistic missile†arabes and indiscriminately landing on civilians, threatening the lives of dozens of civilians.”
The attacks on Tuesday come as the Houthis have ramped up their attempts to attack Saudi targets with their crude drones, that carry explosives.

On Monday morning, another drone launched from Al-Jawf in Yemen was intercepted while it was still in Yemen’s airspace.

On Sunday, coalition forces also destroyed a drone and intercepted six ballistic missiles targeting Jazan in Saudi Arabia’s southern border with Yemen.
Earlier in August, 10 drones were fired at the Shaybah natural gas liquefaction plant in Saudi Arabia, near the UAE border – the Houthis claim responsibility for the attack.
There were no injuries and operations were not disrupted.


Saudi Arabia to extend visa validity for expats

Updated 08 April 2020

Saudi Arabia to extend visa validity for expats

  • The extension will continue for an additional three months for expats

DUBAI: Saudi Arabia’s General Directorate of Passports will extend the validity of exit and return visas – that expire between Feb. 25 until May 24 of 2020 – at no charge, state news agency SPA reported on Wednesday.
The extension will continue for an additional three months for expats. The decision will cover residents of commercial and industrial professions in the Kingdom and those whose visas have not been used during the suspension of the entry and exit period.
The General Directorate of Passports said that the extension will be done automatically from the system without reviewing the passports.
People can enter their accounts on the “Absher” platform to view the service provided to them electronically, it added.