Fahd bin Mohammed Al-Essa, chief of the Saudi Royal Court

Updated 08 September 2019
0

Fahd bin Mohammed Al-Essa, chief of the Saudi Royal Court

Fahd bin Mohammed Al-Essa was recently appointed by royal decree as chief of the Royal Court at the rank of minister.

King Salman issued a number of decrees on Aug. 30, including the creation of the Ministry of Industry and Mineral Resources, and the National Center for Artificial Intelligence, among other important appointments.

Al-Essa was formerly the head of Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman’s office at the Defense Ministry.

Al-Essa had been a legal researcher at the Bureau of Experts at the Council of Ministers. He then became a legal adviser at the bureau.

He worked as a legal adviser cooperating with the Royal Court from 1996 until 2013, and was appointed director general of the defense minister’s office in 2014.

Al-Essa is an accredited arbitrator by the Justice Ministry. He previously worked as an adviser to and member of the Joint Saudi-Yemeni Border Demarcation Committee, and a member of the preparatory committee of the Saudi-Yemeni Coordination Council.

He received the Yemeni National Unity Medal for his efforts in Saudi-Yemeni border negotiations in 2001.

Al-Essa served as chairman of the permanent committee to study issues related to the Gulf Cooperation Council.

He holds a bachelor’s degree from the College of Administrative Sciences at King Saud University, and a master’s degree in law from the American University in Washington.


Saudi Arabia’s Defense Ministry displays Iranian drones, cruise missiles used in Aramco attacks

Updated 8 min 14 sec ago

Saudi Arabia’s Defense Ministry displays Iranian drones, cruise missiles used in Aramco attacks

  • Defense ministry spokesman says attacks were “unquestionably” sponsored by Iran
  • Investigations are still underway to pinpoint the exact launch location, but definitely not yemen

RIYADH:

RIYADH: Saudi Arabia displayed Iranian drones and cruise missiles that it said were used in an attack against Aramco facilities at the weekend.

The attacks were “unquestionably” sponsored by Iran but investigations are still underway to pinpoint the exact launch location, defense ministry spokesman Col. Turki Al-Maliki said at a news conference in Riyadh.

Weapons used to attack #SaudiArabia on display ahead of Defense Ministry press conference about Iranian involvement in Saturday's #Aramco attacks

However he said that the strikes came from the north and  definitely not come from Yemen, where Houthi militants claimed they had been launched from on Saturday. 

He said a total of 25 drones and missiles were launched at Khurais oil field and Abqaiq processing plant.  They included Iranian Delta Wing unmanned aerial vehicles (UAV) and “Ya Ali” cruise missiles. The same missiles have been used by Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps, he said.

“The attack was launched from the north and unquestionably sponsored by Iran," he told a news conference. “The evidence ... that you have seen in front of you, makes this undeniable.”

Earlier, the Saudi ambassador to London said Iran was almost certainly behind the attacks on an oil processing facility and an oil field that cut the Kingdom’s oil production by half. 

The US has blamed Iran for the attacks and officials told Reuters that they originated in south-western Iran and involved cruise missiles and drones.

Iran-backed Houthi militants initially claimed they had carried out the attack from Yemen, where Saudi Arabia is part of a coalition supporting government forces fighting the militia. 

*With Reuters