Saudi Arabia ‘a prime target for hackers,’ cyber experts warn

The seventh Middle East and North Africa Information Security Conference takes place in the Saudi capital on Monday and Tuesday. AFP
Updated 08 September 2019

Saudi Arabia ‘a prime target for hackers,’ cyber experts warn

  • State-sponsored hackers had previously mounted attacks on Kingdom's critical infrastructure

DUBAI: Saudi Arabia’s size, wealth, and geopolitical prominence make it a prime target for cyberattackers, experts have warned on the eve of a high-profile cybersecurity conference that begins in Riyadh on Monday.

“As the world gets more and more interconnected and we become increasingly dependent on technology, the threat landscape is broadening and creating more opportunities for attackers,” said Mark Leveratt, cybersecurity adviser to the Defense Services Marketing Council in Abu Dhabi.

“This is leaving individuals, organizations, governments and nations increasingly vulnerable to cyberattacks.”


ALSO READ: Counting the cost of Middle East cyberattacks


Muhammad Khurram Khan, founder and chief executive of the Global Foundation for Cyber Studies and Research in Washington, said state-sponsored hackers had already launched elaborately planned cyberattacks against the Kingdom’s critical infrastructure and government departments.

“They are also targeting the general public and local organizations, including hospitals, universities and SMEs, for financial gain by performing ransomware attacks, which have increased by almost 400 percent over previous years,” he said. Khan said cybercrime legislation should be an integral part of the national cybersecurity strategy of every country.

“Fortunately, Saudi Arabia has developed an anti-cybercrime law that aims to secure the safe exchange of data, protect the rights of users and the internet, and defend the public interest, morals and privacy,” he said.

The seventh Middle East and North Africa Information Security Conference takes place in the Saudi capital on Monday and Tuesday.

 


Saudi Arabia announces 30 more deaths from COVID-19

Updated 26 September 2020

Saudi Arabia announces 30 more deaths from COVID-19

  • The total number of recoveries in the Kingdom has increased to 316,405
  • A total of 4,655 people have succumbed to the virus in the Kingdom so far

LONDON: Saudi Arabia announced 30 more deaths from the coronavirus and 461 new cases of the disease on Saturday.
Of the new cases, 49 were recorded in Jeddah, 42 in Makkah, 40 in Madinah, 27 in Riyadh, 29 in Hufof and 21 in Hail.
The total number of recoveries in the Kingdom increased to 316,405 after 769 more patients recovered from the virus.
A total of 4,655 people have succumbed to the virus in the Kingdom so far.