Feminism not criminalized in Saudi Arabia, says Presidency of State Security

Presidency of State Security has issued a clarification concerning the "extremism concept" promotional video which was broadcast earlier this week. (Screenshot)
Updated 13 November 2019

Feminism not criminalized in Saudi Arabia, says Presidency of State Security

  • "Extremism concept" promotional video which was broadcast earlier this week
  • The presidency clarified that the story was untrue

RIYADH: The Presidency of State Security has issued a clarification concerning the "extremism concept" promotional video which was broadcast by the General Department for Counter-Extremism.
In a statement, the presidency said that the video's content was inaccurate and contained many mistakes in defining extremism.
It was noted that the person who prepared and published the video acted wrongly and on his own behalf. According to the official statement, the person was brought in for investigation and steps were taken to deal with the social media in order to ensure that such mistakes were not made again.

The presidency also pointed out the erroneous article published on Nov. 11 in Al-Watan newspaper which said "heavy punishment will be imposed on feminists, including jail time and flogging."
The presidency clarified that the story was untrue, pointing out that it was not a regulatory or judicial body as stipulated by the Statute of Governance and other statutes. The presidency has taken the necessary legal action with the relevant authorities against Al-Watan newspaper regarding the incorrect report it published.
In a tweet on Tuesday, the Saudi Human Rights Commission confirmed that feminism was not criminalized in Saudi Arabia and that the Kingdom accorded the greatest importance to women's rights.
The commission noted the fundamental strides taken for the empowerment of women which have granted them their complete rights.

 


Saudi-backed electric car breaks through 500 miles range barrier

Updated 59 min 59 sec ago

Saudi-backed electric car breaks through 500 miles range barrier

  • Lucid Motors announced independent range verification of 517 miles on a single charge for its forthcoming Lucid Air all-electric sedan

 

LONDON:A Saudi-backed electric vehicle has broken through the 500 mile range barrier from a single charge.
Lucid Motors, in which Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund is a major investor, on Wednesday announced independent range verification of 517 miles on a single charge for its forthcoming Lucid Air all-electric sedan.
The results confirm that the Lucid Air is the longest range electric vehicle to date, the car maker said in a statement.
So-called “range anxiety,” where drivers fear being stranded without power in their cars, is a major factor for electric vehicle manufacturers in convincing people to make the switch from traditional gasoline-fueled vehicles.
“Range and efficiency are widely recognized as the most relevant proof points by which EV technical prowess is measured,” said Lucid Motors CEO Peter Rawlinson. “A few years ago we revealed our alpha prototypes of the Lucid Air and promised over 400 miles range; a reflection of our technology at that time. In the intervening period we have achieved a series of technological breakthroughs, culminating in an unsurpassed degree of energy efficiency.”
The PIF agreed a $1 billion investment deal with Lucid Motors two years ago to develop the car at a factory in Arizona.
The production version of the Lucid Air will debut in an online event on Sept. 9, 2020. In addition to the vehicle’s final interior and exterior designs, new details about production specifications, available configurations, and pricing information will also be shared.
Customer deliveries of the Lucid Air, which will be produced at Lucid’s new factory in Casa Grande, Arizona, will begin in early 2021.