Saudi Arabia condemns Turkey’s military interference in Libya

Members of the Libyan Parliament in Benghazi accused Ankara of “a return to colonialism.” (File/AFP)
Short Url
Updated 05 January 2020

Saudi Arabia condemns Turkey’s military interference in Libya

  • Saudi Arabia considers the interference a violation of sovereignty
  • Members of Libya’s Parliament in Benghazi accused Ankara of ‘a return to colonialism’

DUBAI/JEDDAH: Saudi Arabia’s government condemned the latest Turkish interference in Libya, state news agency SPA reported on Saturday.

The Kingdom denounced Turkey’s parliament approving the military deployment in Libya, describing it is a violation of the United Nation’s Security Council resolution on the conflict in the north African country, which aims to solve the crisis.

The resolution was adopted by the Arab League on Dec. 31, 2019.

Saudi officials believe the Turkish interference constitutes a threat to security and stability in Libya and threatens regional and Arab security. It is also an interference in the internal affairs, which it says violates international principles of sovereignty.

Other states have also opposed Turkish President’s Recep plans to send troops to fight in Libya.

Egypt’s Foreign Relations committee at the House of Representatives called Turkish plan for Libya an invasion that endangers Arab safety on Sunday.

Members of the Libyan Parliament in Benghazi accused Ankara of “a return to colonialism,” and the African Union said it was deeply concerned about “interference” in Libya.

Turkish politicians last week approved a law authorizing a military deployment in Libya to shore up the UN-backed government in Tripoli, which has been under sustained attack since April from the rival administration in the east.

At an emergency meeting of the Libyan Parliament in the eastern city of Benghazi, members accused the Tripoli government of “high treason” because of the maritime and military deals it signed with Ankara in November, clearing the way for a Turkish military intervention.

FASTFACT

Members of Libya’s Parliament in Benghazi accused Ankara of ‘a return to colonialism.’

Parliament spokesman Abdallah Bleheq said MPs voted unanimously to scrap the accords, and to sever ties with Ankara.

In Addis Ababa, African Union chief Moussa Faki Mahamat said he was “deeply concerned at the deterioration of the situation in Libya and the continuing suffering of the Libyan people.”

“The various threats of political and military interference in the internal affairs of the country increase the risk of a confrontation, whose motives have nothing to do with the fundamental interests of the Libyan people and their aspirations for freedom, peace, democracy and development,” Faki said.

He urged the international community to join forces with Africa in seeking a peaceful resolution of the crisis, which he warned had “dangerous consequences” for the continent as a whole.


Iran reports new record one-day virus death toll of 163

Updated 12 min 39 sec ago

Iran reports new record one-day virus death toll of 163

TEHRAN: Iranian health authorities on Sunday announced 163 new deaths due to the COVID-19 disease, the country’s highest official one-day toll since the outbreak began in February.
The previous record of 162 deaths was announced on Monday in the Islamic republic, which has been battling the Middle East’s deadliest outbreak of the novel coronavirus.
The new deaths bring the total toll in Iran to 11,571, health ministry spokeswoman Sima Sadat Lari said on state television.
“In the past 24 hours, 2,560 people have tested positive for coronavirus, bringing the total number of infections to 240,438,” Lari added.
Official figures have shown a rising trajectory in fatalities and new confirmed cases since Iran reported a near-two month low in daily recorded infections in early May.
The increase has prompted the government to make the wearing of masks mandatory in enclosed public spaces in an effort to combat the spread of the virus.