Sudanese airspace open again after Khartoum ‘rebellion’ contained: Al-Burhan

he chairman of the Sovereignty Council of Sudan Abdel Fattah Al-Burhan said on Wednesday that Tuesday's security operation in the capital of Khartoum was a "rebellion" and that the situation had been detained. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 15 January 2020

Sudanese airspace open again after Khartoum ‘rebellion’ contained: Al-Burhan

  • Al-Burhan announced that life had “returned to normal”
  • Said joint investigation committee had been formed to look into events in Khartoum

KHARTOUM: The chairman of the Sovereignty Council of Sudan Abdel Fattah Al-Burhan said on Wednesday that Tuesday's security operation in the capital of Khartoum was a "rebellion" and that the situation had been detained.

Sudan said it had reopened its airspace on Wednesday after an armed revolt from within its security forces shut down the capital’s airport for hours and left at least two people dead.

"All headquarters are under the army's control and the airspace is now open," Al-Burhan said.

In a press conference Al-Burhan announced that life had “returned to normal,” following the stand-off between the armed forces and rogue intelligence officers which saw heavy gunfire in the capital. The officers had fired shots in the air to demand better severance benefits and to show resistance to government policies.

Al-Burhan added that the armed forces would “not allow any coup to occur,” adding that it was a “shame that weapons were raised in the faces of the people.”

He said a joint investigation committee had been formed to look into the events in Khartoum, and that those responsible for protests and providing weapons would be investigated in order to prevent “disturbing the security of Sudan.” 

The army quickly crushed the short-lived mutiny with “minimal losses,” according to General Mohamed Othman Al-Hussein, its chief of staff said on Wednesday. The clashes killed two people and injured four others, including two officers, he added.

The military also took control of two small oilfields in Darfur that had been seized by the insurgents and production resumed on Wednesday, the petroleum minister said on state television.

(With Agencies)


Iraqi president discusses foreign troops cut with Trump in Davos

Updated 4 min 47 sec ago

Iraqi president discusses foreign troops cut with Trump in Davos

BAGHDAD: Iraqi President Barham Salih met U.S. President Donald Trump in Davos on Wednesday and discussed reducing foreign troops in the country, the Iraqi presidency said, after Washington spurned an Iraqi request earlier this month to pull out its troops.
"During the meeting, reducing foreign troops and the importance of respecting the demands of Iraqi people to preserve the country's sovereignty were discussed," the statement said.
Iraq's parliament passed a non-binding resolution on Jan. 5 requesting the government to end the presence of foreign troops in Iraq following U.S. air strikes that killed Iranian General Qassem Soleimani and Iraqi militia commander Abu Mahdi al-Muhandis.
The killing of Soleimani, to which Tehran responded with a ballistic missile attack on two Iraqi military bases housing U.S. forces, has highlighted the influence of foreign powers in Iraq, especially Iran and the United States.
Iraqi Prime Minister Adel Abdul Mahdi asked Washington to prepare for a U.S. troop withdrawal in line with Iraq's parliament decision, but Trump's administration rebuffed the request.
Washington said later it was exploring a possible expansion of NATO’s mission in Iraq, a plan to “get burden-sharing right in the region”.