Royal decree allocates 9 billion riyals for employees affected by coronavirus repercussions

Short Url
Updated 03 April 2020

Royal decree allocates 9 billion riyals for employees affected by coronavirus repercussions

  • Citizens can apply for compensation in April and payment will start at the beginning of May

JEDDAH: King Salman issued a royal decree ordering the allocation of SR9 billion ($2.4 billion) to compensate citizens working in facilities affected by repercussions of the pandemic.

The royal decree exempts Saudis working in the affected private sector facilities from Articles 8, 10 and 14 of the Unemployment Insurance (Sanad) scheme.

Said employees are to be given a monthly compensation of 60 percent of the registered wage in social insurance for three months with a maximum of SR9,000 monthly.

Finance Minister and Chairman of the Board of Directors of the General Organization for Social Insurance Mohammed Al-Jadaan said that the support mechanism will work as stipulated in the Sanad scheme for facilities included in the royal decree.

This covers 100 percent of Saudis working in facilities employing five or less and up to 70 percent in facilities that employ more than five.

The employer will be exempted from paying the monthly salary for beneficiaries during the compensation period as per the decree.

The facility is not entitled to force employees to work during the compensation period.

The number of people qualified to benefit from the compensation exceeds 1.2 million citizens.

Citizens can apply for compensation in the current month of April. Payment will start at the beginning of May.

The decree requires that facilities resume paying employees as soon as the compensation ends.

The facilities should also continue the payment of salaries for employees (Saudis and non-Saudis) who are not included in the compensation.


Pilgrims to quarantine for 14 days after Hajj

More than 41,361 polymerase chain reaction (PCR) tests have been conducted in the past 24 hours. (SPA)
Updated 04 August 2020

Pilgrims to quarantine for 14 days after Hajj

  • COVID-19 cases in Saudi Arabia continue to fall, officials say

JEDDAH: Pilgrims who took part in this year’s Hajj must continue wearing electronic tags so authorities can track their 14-day quarantine once they return home.

The bracelet is designed to monitor pilgrims’ adherence to quarantine, as well as monitoring and recording their health status through the “Tatamman” app.
Pilgrims were required to quarantine before embarking on the Hajj and wore the bracelets to ensure they were obeying the self-isolation rules as part of strict measures to contain the spread of coronavirus.
The country continues to experience a decline in COVID-19 cases. Recorded infections remain below the 2,000 mark for the 10th day in a row. The Kingdom reported 1,258 new cases of COVID-19 on Monday, raising the number of those infected to 280,093 so far.
There are currently 35,091 active cases and six patients were admitted to critical care units, raising the number to 2,017. There were 32 new fatalities, raising the death toll to 2,949.
There were 1,972 new recoveries recorded, raising the total number of recoveries to 242,053.
More than 41,361 polymerase chain reaction (PCR) tests have been conducted in the past 24 hours. The total number of PCR tests conducted to date exceeds 3.47 million.

INNUMBERS

280,093 COVID-19 cases

242,053 Recoveries

35,091 Active cases

2,949 Total deaths

3.47m PCR tests

The Ministry of Health has been carrying out daily visits to health institutions in order to assess their level of commitment to anti-coronavirus measures, such as ensuring that staff adhere to social distancing, wear masks, and adopt the health practices and crisis management mechanisms recommended by authorities to protect patients and staff.
Teams have been dispatched to supervise the compliance of health facilities’ quarantine centers across Saudi Arabia and stepped up their visits to government and private hospitals to ensure their compliance with health protocols, sample transfers and staff testing as well as ensuring that all routine surgeries are stopped.
More than 5,000 violations have been recorded and violators were referred to committees. More than 150 facilities were temporarily shut down by the ministry until the proper protocols were implemented and the violations were fixed. A number of institutions were able to resume operations after settling fines.