Egypt receives more stranded citizens amid coronavirus pandemic

Repatriated Egyptians arrived from more than 36 countries globally after coordination between ministries and the tourism industry. (File/AFP)
Short Url
Updated 31 May 2020

Egypt receives more stranded citizens amid coronavirus pandemic

  • The airport has received over 10,000 citizens and operated more than 60 flights
  • Egypt has prepared plans to reopen churches in the country

DUBAI: Egypt continues to repatriate stranded citizens from coronavirus hotspots at the country’s Marsa Alam International Airport, local daily Egypt Today reported.
The airport has received over 10,000 citizens and operated more than 60 flights by EgyptAir and Air Cairo airlines since operations began in April.
Repatriated Egyptians arrived from more than 36 countries globally after coordination between ministries and the tourism industry, and provided hotels to host the Egyptians for a one-week quarantine, a source said.
Over 8,000 Egyptians left hotels after completing their obligatory quarantine period, and after the duration was lowered to one week, more citizens were discharged, medical sources said.
Earlier on Thursday, the airport received a repatriation flight arriving from Abu Dhabi, carrying 245 citizens.
Meanwhile, Egypt has prepared plans to reopen churches in the country amid the coronavirus outbreak while following precautionary measures to prevent the virus spread, Head of the Evangelical community in Egypt Andrea Zaki said.
The committee is expected to submit its proposal during the council’s next available meeting, she added.


Saudis warn UN of oil spot in shipping lane near decaying Yemen tanker

Updated 31 min 30 sec ago

Saudis warn UN of oil spot in shipping lane near decaying Yemen tanker

  • The UN has been waiting for formal authorization from Yemen’s Houthi movement to send a mission to the tanker
  • The UN has warned that the Safer could spill four times as much oil as the 1989 Exxon Valdez disaster off Alaska

NEW YORK: Saudi Arabia warned the UN Security Council on Wednesday that an “oil spot” had been seen in a shipping transit area 31 miles (50 km) west of a decaying tanker that is threatening to spill 1.1 million barrels of crude oil off the coast of Yemen.
The Safer tanker has been stranded off Yemen’s Red Sea oil terminal of Ras Issa for more than five years. The United Nations has warned that the Safer could spill four times as much oil as the 1989 Exxon Valdez disaster off Alaska.
In a letter to the 15-member body, reviewed by Reuters, Saudi Arabia’s UN Ambassador Abdallah Al-Mouallimi wrote that experts had observed that “a pipeline attached to the vessel is suspected to have been separated from the stabilizers holding it to the bottom and is now floating on the surface of the sea.”
The United Nations has been waiting for formal authorization from Yemen’s Houthi movement to send a mission to the Safer tanker to conduct a technical assessment and whatever initial repairs might be feasible.
The Security Council and UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres have both called on the Houthis to grant access.
Al-Mouallimi wrote that the tanker “has reached a critical state of degradation, and that the situation is a serious threat to all Red Sea countries, particularly Yemen and Saudi Arabia,” adding “this dangerous situation must not be left unaddressed.”
Yemen has been mired in conflict since the Iran-allied Houthi group ousted the government from the capital Sanaa in 2014. A Saudi-led military coalition in 2015 intervened in a bid to restore the government.