RIYADH: The US mission to Saudi Arabia has strongly condemned a Houthi drone attack on Abha International Airport that wounded eight people.
On Tuesday, the Arab coalition announced that Saudi forces intercepted two weaponized drones targeting Abha airport and a ballistic missile targeting the city of Najran, both launched by Houthi militias.
US Secretary of State Antony Blinken strongly condemned the attack against Saudi Arabia.
“We again call on the Houthis to uphold a ceasefire and engage in negotiations under UN auspices,” he said.
Echoing Blinken’s message, the US mission urged the militia to cease their attacks against civilians, and wished the casualties a “speedy and full recovery.”
A similar attack earlier this year, which left a passenger plane on fire, sparked a flurry of condemnations against the Houthi violation, particularly among the Kingdom’s gulf allies.
The European Union condemned the Houthi attacks against civilian facilities and installations in the Kingdom.
“The European Union condemns these attacks, which lead to instability and exacerbate the conflict in Yemen, and they must be stopped and put to an immediate end,” said Peter Stano, spokesman for the European External Action Service in Brussels.
Stano added that the EU called for a political solution to the crisis in Yemen, a cease-fire, and that all parties to engage with the efforts of the UN envoy.
The World Assembly of Islamic Youth also condemned the “cowardly attack” and Secretary-General Dr. Saleh Al-Wahaibi called on the international community to stand against this crime, which endangered the lives of innocent civilians.
The Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) called on the international community to hold the Iran-backed group accountable for these “war crimes,” in accordance with international humanitarian law.
GCC Secretary-General Nayef Al-Hajraf praised the vigilance and efficiency of the coalition forces, led by Saudi Arabia, in intercepting the explosive-laden drone targeting the airport.
Bahrain also condemned the attack and described the Houthi action as “a clear violation of international humanitarian law and all international norms.”
The Bahraini Ministry of Foreign Affairs praised the efficiency of the Saudi air defense forces and said Bahrain supported the Kingdom in all measures that preserved its security.
The UAE denounced the Houthis for targeting civilians and in a systematic and deliberate manner.
The UAE’s foreign ministry said the “cowardly” act threatened the lives of civilians and passengers, and amounted to a war crime.
Gulf-neighbor Qatar also strongly denounced the attack against the airport, calling the Houthi action against civilian installations an “act of sabotage that violates all international norms and laws.”
Kuwait condemned in the strongest possible terms Tuesday’s attack and called on the international community to act “promptly and decisively” against the perpetrators.
Egypt, Jordan, Pakistan, and the Comoros also denounced the attack and reaffirmed their solidarity with the Kingdom against these aggressive acts.